If You See One, Don't Pass It Up

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ckr

If You See One, Don't Pass It Up

Post by ckr »

This highly recommended piece of sophisticated equipment was a "good deal". The local Octogenarian Depot had them from $60 to over $100. This one was picked up at a yard sale for $10. The usual adjustable arms but also tension screws so it stays where you put it.

I hadn't really used it too much but I was working on a stem that I thought was ready to buff. So I thought I would try out this thing. Quite embarrassingly it was not ready to buff. Yes it would have probably buffed out but clearly some scratches were still there from the previous grit.

The focal point seems to be about 7 inches so for me there is plenty of working room. No more looking for a pair of reading glasses that I don't realize are still on my head, well at least not at this station.

Granted, a lot of you young un's may not feel the need, but I can think of worse things to blow $10 on. If your vision is less than perfect you *will* think you have just hit the lottery. err, maybe scored a date with a nice girl? err, well ... maybe like you did not have to finish your brussel sprouts. YMMV, for me - well spent coin.

Note the stem bit that is out of magnification.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey CKR,

I don't use the ones with magnification, but I have at least a dozen adjustable drafting table lamps in my shop. All of them use 100 watt daylight bulbs. Light just might be the most important tool in your shop!

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My kitchen and my workshop are the only places in the house that are fully lit from corner to corner with full spectrum bulbs. Every other room has soft, dim lighting. I agree, light is absolutely necessary in your workshop!

My eyes are getting to the point where magnification is starting to be necessary though. And for that I use bifocal safety glasses.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

I've been thinking about a magnifier lamp like that for some time. I sometimes miss scratches or other imperfections until latter stages. I hate having to go back! I've been hoping to run into a nice one on the cheep like that--great find!

I have a bunch of adjustable arm lights at various work stations. I've found the cheep ones are a pain. I either break them right away, or they won't stay put, so I'm upgrading them as I can. The daylight bulbs are a huge plus, especially at the finishing and buffing stations.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
flix

Post by flix »

I've already got one for my old eyes. Perfect for scratch detection...
jeff

Post by jeff »

For me part of the magic of pipemaking is seeing what I can create in complete darkness. I use no lights and have no windows. To further enhance the experience I put on a blindfold. Lights are for cheaters. That way I consider each of my pipes to be a paradoxical product of skilled execution and dumb luck. It's kind of like The Force.

;)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You've got a way with words tonight, Jeff. That's the second time beer has almost come out of my nose while reading your posts. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

“Jeff ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Carvers. Blade low you swing .... now "chin" you have.
Frank

Post by Frank »

What Jeff sees: :twisted:

Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

jeff wrote:For me part of the magic of pipemaking is seeing what I can create in complete darkness. I use no lights and have no windows. To further enhance the experience I put on a blindfold. Lights are for cheaters. That way I consider each of my pipes to be a paradoxical product of skilled execution and dumb luck. It's kind of like The Force.

;)
Yes, I've always said your pipes look like they were made in the dark.

Todd :D
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Hehe ..........Mine is bigger than yours :lol: I bought one a few weeks ago that is about twice the size. I got tired of being left in the dark.
I now also own a Dremel the size of a jackhammer.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Ollie,
You may not know of John Hancock. He was a very wise and great man, the very first to sign the Declaration of Independence in this country. After imparting his flamboyant signature to the document he stated "What matters is not the size of your pen, but how you sign your name."
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote:
jeff wrote:For me part of the magic of pipemaking is seeing what I can create in complete darkness. I use no lights and have no windows. To further enhance the experience I put on a blindfold. Lights are for cheaters. That way I consider each of my pipes to be a paradoxical product of skilled execution and dumb luck. It's kind of like The Force.

;)
Yes, I've always said your pipes look like they were made in the dark.

Todd :D
Now you know why... :lol:
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Got one just like that one. Bought it at Harbor Freight for about $20. I find myself using it more and more!

And I'm finding that I need more lights in the shop too............ I'll have the electric meter flying round before this is over. :D (The wife will love that!)