Finally making chips...Errrr Ribbons!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
smokindawg

Finally making chips...Errrr Ribbons!

Post by smokindawg »

Well, I bought this old Craftsman/Atlas Lathe back in October. I've been buying tooling for it as I could afford.

As you will notice, I cleaned up the lathe for use, but didn't get carried away with a total restore.

I didn't have a clue what I was buying, but after getting it, did some reading and found this one has the Timken Roller bearings (Which is a plus) and upon looking it over, the lathe has seen very little use at all.

When I got it, the lathe was missing the tool holder, so that was the first thing I bought and thought I did well. I got the set for $99 and it came with two tool holders, the cut off tool holder and the boring bar holder. (Not sure if I need the boring bar holder but I have it.) This thing is the cat's meow and lots better than the old factory one would have been.

I also got a 4 jaw independent chuck with the lathe but wanted to add a 3 jaw self centering for some work. Setting the new chuck up for this lathe was the first turning job I did, facing and turning the shoulder on the mounting plate, to match the lathe. That was a pain, till I figured out how slow I really needed to go with the cast material.

The pulley set up had oil holes and bronze bushings, but the oil holes didn't go thru the bushing, This set up was getting very hot, so I wasn't sure what to do. I slept on it (Do some of my best problem solving in my sleep) and got an idea. I drilled the oil holes thru the bushing and installed grease serts. One pump of grease and the shaft ran cool for the few hours I played with the lathe last night.

Anyway, I'm now cutting some nice ribbons and don't have any taper that I can tell. So I've done something right for a change.

pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

Very nice Steve
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Now if only aluminum pipes will catch on, you're all set!