Tapered bits

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Sasquatch wrote:
wdteipen wrote: For pipes that I smoke myself I really like it but most pipe smokers seem to be convinced that it is too big.
We just gotta edumacate those other pipe smokers. Our pipes are normative - they should adjust their preferences!
Heh. I really like the way we think around here :D

So, Jamestown then? I'll give it a try.

Cheers!
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Leus

Post by Leus »

These Amazon fellas won't send me anything. Don't know why, never been able to buy anything from them except books.

Still looking!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Don't know if McMaster Carr ( a very large industrial supplier in the US) will ship there or not, but they have the long, tapered bits you're looking for in all the sizes mentioned above.

9/64" is p/n 30915A75
5/32" is p/n 30915A76
11/64" is p/n 30915A77

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/2426/=19xkhe
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Leus

Post by Leus »

Well, it is kind of difficult to buy this kind of things without jumping many hoops. I tried to buy from Jamestown but they asked me (after I placed my order using their web interface) that I fax them my credit card, both sides. I haven't seen a fax in ages down here, and setting up a modem just to send a scan of my credit card seems like a lot of trouble for my lazy self. So I just say no, thanks.

Any other recommended online shop out there that carries these things?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

As Fred said, McMaster Carr. Although they might make you jump through a hoop or two to set up an account, once you do, they have fantastic service for everything you'd ever need. Check out the well structured website and the selection.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

McMaster-Carr owns my wallet.

Sure, some things are more expensive, but it's a one-stop shop for tools and materials - some of which simply can't be found elsewhere.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Chris Morgan

Post by Chris Morgan »

I used to drill at 5/32 , but after re-reading Rick's book , have decided to bump it up to 11/64. I have re- drilled a few of my pipes at 11/64 and 3/16 and I would have to say it really depends on how much bend there is. While it is nice to set a pipe down for a few minutes and come back to it still smoldering, 3/16" it a wee bit to big for a straight pipe IMO. 11/64 seems to be a nice fit for most pipes.