Fitting a jacobs chuck on a lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Timberwolf

Fitting a jacobs chuck on a lathe

Post by Timberwolf »

Hi guys,

I have a bench top lathe with a 5/8" coarse thread and I want to put a jacobs chuck on it.

All I can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc... are ones that receive what looks to be 1/2" fine thread.

I've looked at all the local haunts and cannot find anything.

Any suggestions on a reducer??

Thanks in advance.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Do you mean the spindle threads are 5/8"? Or does your lathe have threads on the tailstock ram? Which lathe are me talking about - there might be a better way.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Timberwolf

Here's the lathe

Post by Timberwolf »

And it is the drive spindle.

I'm looking to put a jacobs chuck on it for sanding and buffing applications.

Thanks Kurt, if there is another way, I'm all ears.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

From the product specs, it looks like the spindle threads are 3/4"-10tpi. That's actually a pretty common spindle size. You *might* be able to find a jacobs chuck threaded to fit that, but the most common sizes for jacobs chuck thread mounts are 1/2"-20 and 3/8"-24.

Without a tapered hole in the spindle, your options are limited. In true tinkerer fashion, I'd just go and make myself a tool. If you have access to a metal lathe, getting a thread adapter made should be fairly trivial as long as you keep the axis uniform. You might even be able to make one from 6061 aluminum just to make life easy.

HOWEVER, given the circumstances, I think that going the tried and true route, with motors equiped with arbors and sanding discs, is going to suit you better. You can also set one up as a buffer as well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I did a little snooping, but I didn't have much luck coming up with a jacobs chuck threaded to 3/4-10.

However, I did come up with a couple things that you might find useful. First, you can buy a 3/4-10 tap on Ebay for around $10.

I doubt you would have much luck trying to tap hardened steel, but you shouldn't have any trouble tapping mild steel, aluminum, etc.

Nor should you have any trouble coming up with two or three useful attachments after a little head-scratching.

Second, just for future reference, this guy can put together a 6-inch 3-jaw scroll chuck or a 6-inch 4-jaw independent chuck, either one with a dozen different adapters -- including one for a 3/4-10 spindle -- for like $50-100.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks Pierre!

Some very solid leads there. Appreciate it.

I really like the chuck link from eBay!