Help With Files

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Paddington

Help With Files

Post by Paddington »

I recently purchased a set of files; however, they are many different shapes and sizes. Could someone explain why there are so many shapes? What files are best used for shaping the pipe?

Thanks for the help.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There are so many shapes of file because a) sometimes a weird shape is just right and b) suckers like me buy every weird looking tool we see.

I do most of my shaping with a half-round bastard, an aggressive cutting file that is flate on one side, and half-round on the other. This lets me get into tight corners (stem meets bowl), lets me do long flat areas (a nice smooth taper down the shank, knocking off lumps from the bowl) and shoulder areas (like where the barrel of a saddle bit goes down to the thin section).

A full round file is useful for getting into corners with control, a totally flat file allows you to make surprisingly straight lines, and if you have a file with no teeth on the edge (a safety edge) you can use it right against the button etc and not damage the area you are rubbing up against.

In general, single file (bastard) teeth cut faster and rougher than double-cut (diamond pattern) teeth. Bigger teeth cut faster and rougher than smaller.

Now you know everything about files.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Briar is very hard wood, so fine files are difficult to use. Trial and error is the best teacher. Nichols files are some of the best to use in general.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes, Nichols or Nicholson (can't make it out on my old rasp) are superb.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sasquatch wrote:Yes, Nichols or Nicholson (can't make it out on my old rasp) are superb.
Nicholson
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Hello,
I find this file indispensable in my shop. I use it for both shaping briar and stemwork !
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... ilyID=3223
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I also use a few of these as well.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... milyID=281
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes