Buffing motor recommendation?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
EBK

Buffing motor recommendation?

Post by EBK »

Would this be good for buffing motor?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?P ... ilyID=4605

What other buffing motors would you recommend?
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

That would work quite nicely!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As a matter of power and spindle RPM, yes. However, I don't know what the feasability of adding buffing wheels to it is. I imagine that it would be as easy as using a 5/8" motor arbor adaptor, but having never seen that particular grinder apart, I couldn't say for certain.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
EBK

Post by EBK »

Thanks so far! Any other recommendations?
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I was going to say pretty much the same thing as Kurt. I've used a grinder as a buffer and the main problem that I've had is with clearence between the motor and the wheel on such a short shaft. Other than that, the speed and the HP are fine and would work well.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have to say I prefer buffing on the drill press. Speed adjustability is excellent. The only limitation is the swing depth, which for me limits me to 6" pads, but they are commonly available through automotive supply stores. And the arbor adapters are like 3 bucks from pimo.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

a good motor with 1750 rpm is all you need. The spindle ware is easy to come by. Check ebay.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As a side note, while buffing on a drill press can work (I did it for a year until I started collecting electric motors) It can ruin the spindle bearings in fairly short order. The buffing compound will work its way into the the rotating assemblies and loosen everything up. Before you know it, you can't drill a straight hole in anything, and bit chatter is the norm.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

KurtHuhn wrote:As a side note, while buffing on a drill press can work (I did it for a year until I started collecting electric motors) It can ruin the spindle bearings in fairly short order. The buffing compound will work its way into the the rotating assemblies and loosen everything up. Before you know it, you can't drill a straight hole in anything, and bit chatter is the norm.
That, plus you're putting side loads on the spindle/bearing/chuck assembly that was designed mainly for thrust loads. That said, I have a cheap little bench-top drill press that I use for drum sanding and polishing operations sometimes. Since I got my big drill press, the little guy has been relegated to "rough" work.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Fair enough. My drill press is a piece of shit and I hope to kill it. Sounds like I'm on the right track! :D
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

BTW, you can hardly go wrong with a Baldor motor. I bought mine on ebay for $50 plus shipping.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ebay is the place for motors. Try Craigslist too. I have a collected a pile of motors through the years of various speeds and hps. You'll do well to buy any motor between 1/4 and 1/2 hp that spins below 2000rpm. That said, I actually do my rough shaping with 24 or 36gr resin disks at 3400rpm. It makes quick work of briar, but will scare the hell out of you the first few times you use it.

Heh, you should have seen Jody Davis' reaction when he turned that motor on to shape in my shop last week. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but boy can you rough shape a pipe quickly. For me, I find that it allows me to rough out pipes faster so I can devote more time to other procedures than I had before. It's a great tool if you are willing to give it a go.
EBK

Post by EBK »

Thanks for your help...I'll start watching ebay