Cavicci Yellow?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
DanH

Cavicci Yellow?

Post by DanH »

I'm working on a new pipe and the stain shown below would be perfect for it. Is it just yellow or tan stain applied in the normal fashion (ie. stain, sand with 320, stain again , sand with 400, sand with 600, buff and wax)? Could it be that simple or is there something else going on here?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm still fairly new to this, so certain things which seem rudimentary are still kind of a mystery to me.

Dan

Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Hi Dan,
I believe it's just yellow dye or stain he uses and then the normal buffing and polishing/waxing. Fiebings has a yellow leather dye or I use thinned out orange which comes pretty close. Obviously one can experiment on scrap briar to test before doing the real deal. I'm sure somebody else will chime if they know different.

Regards,
Kevin
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I get a pretty similar yellow out of that Feibings. Multiple coats between sandings yadda yadda.

I suspect that there is a color "reversal" on this pipe. Ordinarily, a dark stain darkens the more porous parts, but a light stain will actually make the less porous streaks looks darker and the porous part lighter.