Post by giospro »

What's a good all around pipe lighter?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I really like the IMCO pipe lighter. They are made in Austria. They are re-fillable, last a fairly long time (until the flint wheel wears down - at least a couple years of heavy use), have a "window" to check fuel level, are easy to clean and maintain, and are cheap enough that you won't cry if you loose one. Here's a place that has them:

http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/1387k.html
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,

that's right, the Imco is a good-working and inexpensive lighter for pipes. If you want to spend some more money, the Corona Old Boy is among the best: http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/ ... ghter.html.
Though not specially designed for pipes, S.T. Dupont lighters are also great - but really, really expensive (and beware of imitations !).

regards, Jens
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Isn't there an Old Boy clone out there somewhere?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Kurt,
KurtHuhn wrote:Isn't there an Old Boy clone out there somewhere?
several... most of them are bullshit. I have a "Windmill" Old Boy clone, it's really good - but afaik it's no longer available :( ...

regards, Jens
Skip

Lighters

Post by Skip »

We sell the Old Boy as well as two clones.
The most cost effective one is the Nibo. It sells for about 20 bucks. My opinion is that it is simply a cheap copy. It does have the built in tamp but I find it too short to be of much use. They are fair as far as being dependable.

The other clone is fro Xikar. It is much better than the Nibo. I do not think that it has any where near as solid of a feel as the Old Boy but it is backed by a life time guarantee. You do not get that with the Old Boy. Xikar is great about any problems. A very nice lighter.

In other exciting news, we got a call from some one at Colibri. They are back in business and will honor all warranties.
I read in a trade publication that Colibri was 24 million dollars in the hole. I can not imagine wanting to own that company.

Skip Elliott
Frank

Re: Lighters

Post by Frank »

Skip wrote:In other exciting news, we got a call from some one at Colibri. They are back in business and will honor all warranties.
I read in a trade publication that Colibri was 24 million dollars in the hole. I can not imagine wanting to own that company.
I have 3 Colibris lying around somewhere, cost ranging from about $25 to $60. They all crapped out after a few short months of use - POS in my less than humble opinion. Even under warranty they expect you to pay all shipping costs - excuse my French, but fuckem! :evil:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Hehe...Frank, I didn't know you could speak french. :wink:
Well said, I totally agree.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Skip wrote: The other clone is fro Xikar. It is much better than the Nibo. I do not think that it has any where near as solid of a feel as the Old Boy but it is backed by a life time guarantee. You do not get that with the Old Boy. Xikar is great about any problems. A very nice lighter.
Interesting! I have a matte black Old Boy that has been giving me crap, and I want to tear it down and overhaul it, but it would be nice to have a lighter in reserve. Thank you Skip.
In other exciting news, we got a call from some one at Colibri. They are back in business and will honor all warranties.
Oh, man. I bought a Colibri years ago, and I had such problems with it (leaking, failure to ignite, etc) that I decided to splurge for the Old Boy. Haven't looked back since. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

What do you guys think about torch lighters vs regular butane ones?
I find the torch performs great in windy conditions , but often wondered if it isn't too hot and scorches a good amount of tobacco.
All the best,
Tano
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Tano wrote:What do you guys think about torch lighters vs regular butane ones?
I find the torch performs great in windy conditions , but often wondered if it isn't too hot and scorches a good amount of tobacco.
Do not use a torch lighter on a pipe you value.

You'll eventually finish your bowl with the taste of burning wood.
Last edited by kbadkar on Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I agree - no torch lighters on pipes. They're fine for cigars (if you must), but they're like little blowtorches and the flame front is far too hot for the wood.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I loose lighters, so the cheaper the better. Matches work great!!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I've always wanted a pewter Old Boy with the pipe shapes on it. Never had the mad money for one.....you guys are gonna kill me. I use an old Zippo, never fails, and no I don't taste fluid. I let the flame burn a bit first then light ! Super relyable and economical!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

giospro wrote:What's a good all around pipe lighter?
My wife lighting, and holding the match.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Just need to be sure you keep the "lighter" on her good side!!!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
giospro

Post by giospro »

how about Bic lighters?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Having used those when caught without either of my two regular lighters, my opinion of them is very low. They may be fine for cigarettes, but for pipes they're far from ideal.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Not sure who actually manufactures it, but there's one styled like a cheap disposable - clear colored plastic, butane, except it's refillable and has a tip that you can adjust the angle of. Mine's got "Sidekick" stamped on the metal at the top. Seems pretty reliable so far- had it about 3 months.

I do have a Colibri for cigs as well that I've had for about a year, and one of Windmill's "Delta" model rugged lighters (4 years), both piezoelectric butane. And half a dozen Zippos, but I have the dubious taste to collect...

The Colibri hasn't given me any trouble yet. I'm wondering if they've gotten better over time. I must admit that their pipe lighters tempt me everytime I pass them at the smoke shop.

The Delta is the toughest lighter I've ever seen. Can be a pain to open if you're in a hurry and one handed, but it's very reliable, and does actually re-light in wind as promised.

And Zippos are what they are. Not sure they need a review. They only get carried in my bag though- I don't like naptha burns on my thighs....

And yeah, there's at least half a dozen bic lighters floating around the house and my person. I'm officially the person to bum a light off of...

LJ