Tapering stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
buster

Tapering stems

Post by buster »

I want to make a taper on my lathe but I'm not exactly sure how. The taper I want to make is six degrees. What I was thinking is moving the compound slide to the rear of the piece at six degrees and making shallow passes until done, but I'm not completely sure if that's how it's done.

Thank you
Mike
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

That is how it's done, but are you talking about trying to turn down the outer profile of an entire stem doing this or just a military tenon? The latter is fine, the former is done more easily with a belt sander or shaping wheel.

TJ
buster

Post by buster »

Yes, I am talking about turning the outer profile of the stem. I my head it seems like a good way to get a completely symetrical stem. Ohh and by the way Todd how do you get those nice rounded parts on your stems where it meets the shank.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

I've found it much easier to put some square stock in the tool carriage and use a gouge/skew to do it by hand.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

buster wrote:Yes, I am talking about turning the outer profile of the stem. I my head it seems like a good way to get a completely symetrical stem. Ohh and by the way Todd how do you get those nice rounded parts on your stems where it meets the shank.
The only way to do this really is to shape it to the correct profile using a grinder or belt sander after it's come off the lathe. I suppose you could try turning it down to the correct profile on a lathe, but you've got to have round stock chucked up anyway, so there's no way to get it turned down from tip to tip. Anyway, you will be best served to develop the skills necessary to this without the help of the crossfeed.

The domed saddles are turned down by hand manipulating the X and Y axis simultaneously. Trever Talbert once likened it to drawing a perfect circle using an Etch-a-Sketch.

Todd