Pipe Sweetener Gone Wild

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
5277a124

Pipe Sweetener Gone Wild

Post by 5277a124 »

I have used the Yello-Bole Bee Pipe Sweetener for quick cleanings with a pipe cleaner for the last 15 years. All of a sudden, the distributor doesn't have anyone to manufacture it for them, and it will probably be another six months before it's out again. In the meantime, I bought the "Pipemasters Clean and Cure" green colored cleaner and was very disappointed. Against my gut, I cleaned all of the 20 or so pipes that I smoke with the stuff before testing the results on just one pipe. I was very displeased at the absolutely rancid odor that entered my pipes after the stuff dried. Then, I smoked four pipes and was disgusted with my tried and true tobacco!

The everclear non-iodized salt treatment worked for the pipes that I had cleaned with the new nasty liquid and not yet smoked. However, for the pipes that I smoked, the fire must have absorbed that stuff deeper into the briar because I can hardly tolerate smoking out of them. I did a second everclear/salt treatment and am just going to let them sit and dry out for a long while. In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1) Would using everclear be a good temporary replacement for the bee pipe sweetener for routine cleaning? Or any other suggestions?

2) Or, do some of you simply use dry pipe cleaners and that's it?

3) Any other ideas for helping me restore the the four pipes that still smell/taste foul after the everclear/salt treatment would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

Jeff :cry:
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Jeff, I have only a very short pipesmoker career behind me but I have never used any magic sweetener... I just don't have the heart to pour any of that stuff into my pipes...
What I have used for cleaning estate pipes I bought from eBay is everclear for the rough cleaning and then you can use some fine alcohol of your own choice, I used Jamaica Rum. The results were always pleasing and I never ever experienced any rancid or other displeasing aroma from the pipes. So to sum up: I'd use Rum or Whisky or somewhat similar quality alcohol of fine odour...
Frank

Post by Frank »

Plain Everclear is probably the best thing to use. If you want to give it a slight flavour, a couple of drops of food/cooking essence works fine. Occasionally I add a dash of Citrus flavoured mouthwash.

I never fill the bowl with my Everclear cleaner, I just dampen the end of a paper towel and wipe out the bowl. I also dip the end of a bristle pipe cleaner in it to clean the draught hole/s.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

I used Yellow-Bole for many years and have since switched to a 50/50 mixture of Everclear and 151 proof rum. The rum adds a little more sweetness to the pipe without imparting any odd flavors.

Regards,
Kevin
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I never clean my pipes. :shock:

Once in a while I might ream one out, or take the nasties off a stem, but other than that, I don't ever feel a need to do either the pipe sweetener or the salt treatment. I smoke some very, very strong tobaccos, so your mileage may vary.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Gents,

Thanks for the good and varied advice. I like the idea that all of you have had good results with your methods varying from nothing, to rum, to everclear, to the 50/50 everclear/rum mix. I love my Bushmills, but don't know if I can part with it for my pipes. I need my Bushmills for drinking while smoking! I'll have to do some experimenting.

Cheers,

Jeff
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote:I never clean my pipes. :shock:

Once in a while I might ream one out, or take the nasties off a stem, but other than that, I don't ever feel a need to do either the pipe sweetener or the salt treatment. I smoke some very, very strong tobaccos, so your mileage may vary.
I'm the same way, Kurt. I wouldn't touch a pipe sweetener, just because I can't imagine it could do all that much without being the kind of chemical I don't particularly want to smoke...LOL.

A good occasional reaming and a rub with a pipe cleaner is all I need, usually. It seems like that's a pretty universal statement, really..... :lol: :wink:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I use denatured alcohol, I have gallons of it here.

Ryan
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Hello all,

I am happy to report that I was able to rescue my smoked soured pipes with the activated charcoal treatment posted on this site and others. After two consecutive ineffective salt/everclear treatments I had to go to the next level. I put a precious Dunhill, an Armellini, a Loewe and a Peterson in my electric oven (without the stems) on a towel for 3 hours at 180F. I took them out after 3 hours, added the activated charcoal, and put them all back in for 3 more hours at 180F. Upon taking them out of the oven, I immediately noticed that most of the nasty odor was gone. I smoked them, then finished off with the old salt and everclear trick, and now can truly say that the pipes have been cured and are back to normal. This was terrifying for me, because I feared ruining some of my favorite pipes. However, I decided that I would rather have cracked precious pipes than ones that are nice to look at but unbearable to smoke. The only side effects were that two of my pipes' stems were difficult to insert (after waiting for the briar to cool for a day) after the ordeal. I did not have any finish problems except for the Armellini. I'm assuming it was made with a shellac, because after the oven treatment there were a few tiny flakes on some areas of the finish. Frankly, I ran it under a carnauba wheel and it looks fine; in fact, it looks a little bit better than it did before.

As for my routine cleaning, I tried the 50% rum/50% everclear, but ended up returning to just the pure everclear for now. Although all pipe cleaning liquids can impart coloration, I have to say that the Bee Pipe Sweetener imparted a desirable coloration that I still miss in my smokes. Good old ethanol will have to take it's place for now, and fortunately it seems to be nowhere close to extinction. The only minus with the ethanol is that it's easy to discolor vulcanite stems it you get it on the outside of the stem. Then again, a quick trip to the tripoli wheel is an easy cure. A kind thanks to all for your help and other posts.

Cheers for plumes,

Jeff