Wallenstein Longford in Driftwood finish

General pipe discussion
Gerrit Jan

Wallenstein Longford in Driftwood finish

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Hello members,

I became a huge fan of the Wallenstein "smoking objecs". In the discussions about colours and finishes he presented his "Driftwood" finish. I saw the pipe and was fascinated by the shape. I couldn't make the link the sea and this pipe/finish. Until I came at the seaside and found a piece of wood that looked very close to finish of this pipe. (I was to lazy to translate the word Driftwood :( ) This pipe has already been sold but I asked Roger to be so nice and make me also one. This weekend he wrote me that the was getting his "Driftwood" finish.

Here is the pipe: (In Germany they call this a K&K pipe which is transladet Short&Cozy)

groet
GJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I kinda like the finish... but I'm sure the price would exceed the limit of how much would I give for such a pipe.
I tend to like the shapes of the other two craftsmen from the Lobster trio.
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Great shape and wonderfull finish!!
Dotter, Croatia
flix

Post by flix »

The finish appears to be "trendy" to me. One of many passing fads that I see in the pipe world. My opinion is that this pipe is on par with the French fancy colored pipes, but on the other end of the fashion spectrum.

I'm afraid that customers will stay in the comfortable middle of the spectrum, where I intend to make my pipes. That's not to say that I won't try it some day! ;)
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, to my opinion... I wouldn't call it trendy. For me is trendy a way to sell just pipes, doesn't matter what they look like. Some call Roger a dadaïst and I think that's the way he only wants to make his pipes (as he says on the video made by Otto&Kopp). I think that this finish is a result of research how to make pipes in combination with the sea. He warned me that he would send me pictures within a few days of the newest results. With very shocking colours! :roll:

GJ
daniel

Post by daniel »

i have a pretty good hunch of how to get similar look,
i have been asking the around drugstores for certain supplies, but haven´t had money yet to buy them...

oh, the finnish is awesome, and yes few of his pipes make me laugh, but i can see a cerrtain point in his work whicch courages me in a way.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Yesterday he'd send me pictures of the Summer-collection.. and he wrote: "finaly.. I can work on the Driftwood-finish. From now on I will only make pipes in this finish.. " If you can give me a hint what ingredients you would need to get this finish Daniel, I would be very thankful. As a real artist Roger doesn't say word about that "Solper". :roll:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Roger Wallenstein is insane.

Rad
Walle

Post by Walle »

Rad "The Boss" Davis:

"Roger Wallenstein is insane."

That´s flattering, Rad. But, of course: You´re fock´n right!

Cheerio!
Roger
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hah!

I knew that would bring you out of lurking!

Anyone who walks around the Chicago pipe show wearing a shirt that says, "Fuck you, you fucking fuck!" on the front, is OK in my book. :lol:

But of course one would have to be insane to do such a thing.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I just decided Roger Wallenstein is my kind of people!

May favorite T-shit has "Shut The Fuck Up" on the front and "Go The Fuck Away" on the back. The wife, she doesn't let me wear it too many places. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well... to my opinion you need just to be a little insane to survive in this crazy world. And as a gentleman said in de sixties: "That's one small step for Wallenstein, one giant leap for mankind"

GJ
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, Roger warned that it could be worser than it still was. To my opinion he isn"t right. Actually I don't agree with him, for what it is worth....
In the 2 new finishes, Roger call them stage 3 and 4 he has made 2 Longfords, 2 Dromolands and a new shape shape called "Butcher Boy"
But let the pictures speak for themselves....
Roger made the pictures also..

2 Butcher Boys

Big Butcher Boy

Little Butcher Boy

2 Longfords

Longford

Dromoland

Three Ladies Together...

GJ
Last edited by Gerrit Jan on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
daniel

Post by daniel »

those pipes are awesome...
about the finnish, well i would like to try it my self before saying anything.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Some of those buttons are surreal. Are they comfortable that large, or is the buyer suppose to shape the button to their personal preference? I would understand the logic of the latter, since you can always remove excess, but can't add material. I prefer a larger button lip on the bottom, because I like to work with a "hanger" smoldering, but I think I'd have to re-shape some of those buttons for general clench comfort.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

What do you mean by "the buttons" and the "button lip"?? My dictionary doesn't help me to find out what you mean.... :oops:

GJ
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The very end of the stem that catches on the teeth to keep the pipe from slipping out of the mouth. Normally, it's a squashed pointed oval, like an American football, but some of those buttons are almost perfectly round.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, Gentlemen, the fun ain't over yet. This finish started by the name "Flotsam". Later on Roger changed it to "Driftwood" which means the same. He described it as "Bahnhofspennerunterhosenfinish". I won't translate this word because after that london Leatherboys thread I won't like to get a ban.
But it has something to do with the colour of the underwear of homeless people who live under bridges and by stations....

This is also the first stadium:

(Photograph: M. Reck)

Today Roger send me his latest version (stad. 4) in a new shape:

Buoy

GJ