Numbers 10, 11, 12, and 13

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DanH

Numbers 10, 11, 12, and 13

Post by DanH »

Pipes number 10, 11, 12, and 13 posted for critique. I'm still not where I want to be, but I am seeing progress. And you can't make progress without honest feedback, so please give me your honest opinion.

#10 - Bent Rhodesian. Of the ones posted, this one feels the most like a failure to me. A lot of that comes from the stem. Lesson learned: if you've never made a half saddle before, don't suddenly get inspired to try it halfway though making the pipe without first stopping and doing some research into how other people do it. :oops:

#11 - Bent Dublin. This was a reworking of a pipe I made last year for a pipemaker's pass on the smokersforums site. The pipe originally had a flat top and a longer stem. Gunnar suggested both shortening the stem and rolling the lip to make the off-center bowl look more intentional. I followed both suggestions and it improved the pipe greatly.

#12 - Hard-Boiled Egg. Well, that was the original idea anyway, but I made a few mistakes along the way, and this is what I ended up with. It's a little bit like a Lee Von Erke design, except not nearly as good. The half saddle on this one was intentional, but I'm not crazy about how it turned out.

#13 - Freehand Sitter. My first attempt at a freehand. It's not usually a type that I go for, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. This is the first pipe I've made that I look at and think, "That's a pretty good pipe." Not a spectacular, or even a great pipe, mind you, but pretty good.

All of these also represent my first attempts at cutting a button. The stems were all preformed as part of a kit, but all were shortened and new buttons were cut. The kits were from Penguin Briar, so all compliments on drilling go to Kim Kendall.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

To my eye, the second and third pipes would look better with slightly different (more careful?) shape through the shank and stem. The second pipe looks fat in the middle, the third looks like the shank has a waist and it gets fatter again heading toward the stem. Looks a bit off to me.

The freehand is interesting. The shape is cool, and picks up the grain really well. I find the stem a bit fat looking = off balance somehow.

But they look pretty well finished. Now you need to get a drill press and "make" em for real!
daniel

Post by daniel »

i like the freehand,
i like that you left the burl without wax or stain. looks good.
i also like the way it stands. there is something on the stem that makes me think it should have something done differently, it isn´t the size though.
the button looks really good.

the second half sadle stem looks good to me, only the button should be smaller. but i see nothing wrong in it othervise.
good job.
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thanks for the feedback, fellas! My skin's not that thin, though. You can be a little harder on me than that.

One thing I'm curious about: the off-center chamber of the second pipe was an experiment, and was the main thing I was interested in when I made the pipe. During the pass, several people said that they objected to the off-centerness because it didn't seem like an intentional design element, which it was. So, without having seen it before, I wonder if anyone here can offer an opinion as to whether it appears to be intentional now, and/or at least a viable design idea for future pipes.

The difference of opinion about the stem of the freehand being bulbous is somewhat expected. Even making it, I knew it was going to be something that some people would hate. I'm fine with making things that aren't to people's individual taste. That's why they call it individual taste. I look at thousands of pipes, but only a few of them move me to pull out my wallet. But I can still admire the craftsmanship of the ones that don't. So I do appreciate the comment that it makes the pipe seem off balance as that's not an issue of preference, that's an issue of craftsmanship.

Maybe an approach like this would be better for that pipe? Not that I have the ability to pull it off, but still...

Oh, and Sasquatch, I just got a jet mini lathe. I'm probably going to be using that for drilling as soon as I get a good chuck, jaws and chamber bit!
FredS

Post by FredS »

DanH wrote:Maybe an approach like this would be better for that pipe? Not that I have the ability to pull it off, but still...

Now THAT is an ugly pipe. :wink:
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

It's nice to follow an ass kissing with a kick. :shock:
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

All are nice but I love this one:
This egg just *ROCKS*!

but

looking at the grain it's not bad but not that marvellous.... so... I could imagine this one with a nice rough blast or a bark-like rustic finish and chocolate brown colour...

by the way, it's almost a tulip shape! :wink:
DanH

Post by DanH »

tritrek wrote:looking at the grain it's not bad but not that marvellous.... so... I could imagine this one with a nice rough blast or a bark-like rustic finish and chocolate brown colour...:
That's what I was thinking as well. To tell the truth, finishing this pipe got me down a little bit. I was really jazzed about the shape when I drew it on the briar. The minute I was done drawing, I took a look and said to myself, "This one's gonna be good." I musta jinxed myself because as I was shaping, I just kept running into more and more pits and cavernous flaws... which is part of the reason for the pencil shank, and the reason it's not as egg-shaped as I had planned. But the further I cut into the bowl, the deeper the flaws got, so at a certain point, I decided to cut my losses and stop thinning it down. If ever there was a candidate for blasting, this is it. Rusticating would detract too much from the shape I think, but blasting could save it. Sadly I don't have a blasting set up. I'm thinking about maybe contacting one of the pipemakers in the area who does to see if I can rent some time on it for a day when I have a few more pieces that need it.