Comments

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Comments

Post by staffwalker »

Ignore the bad pics and colors, I'm interested in your comments on shapes. I'm learning how to make pipes now, I'll learn how to do photography when I can make pipes. bob

TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Beautiful shapes! Really nice work on the inlays and extensions. Great grain on those as well. I particularly like the finish on the 'orangey' one....
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Hillarious shapes! I love bent eggs and these just rock! Maybe there will be some suggestions where to take more material, where to leave more but I love them just like they are.... IMO wondreful pipes!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Very, very nice, Bob! It's a great idea to concentrate on variations of the same shape. Of the three, I prefer the one with the lighter contrast stain and the just slightly widening shank.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I also like the bottom pipe the best - the widening shank seems to offset the "belly" of the egg shape.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice work!

All three of the pipes are nicely shaped and have outstanding grain. The immediate areas in need of improvement are on the shanks. You'll notice "breaks" in the line that you're running from the front of the bowl back to the end of the shank. This should "flow" and you have several flat spots where the line is broken. The top line of the shank should compliment the bottom line and the shape in general. You've chosen a flare with a few of these which is great, but be careful to prevent the line from curving back--essentially turning your flare into a hump.

These are some good starting points to work on the shapes, but overall the pipes look nice. Well done.

Jeff

P.S. Please do work on your photography. :) Oversaturation of colors and blur are big problems and obscure your pipes from really being 'seen.'
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Taking pix of pipes against a black background seems to be the easiest way to get better color representation. It sucks up all the stray light, or something. Just my .02.
wdteipen

Re: Comments

Post by wdteipen »

I love this shape. The top/first one is my favorite. I couldn't say it better than Jeff did so I'll just say +1 on that. Great work! Keep it up.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Great! Great!! Wonderfull shapes!
Keep up the good work!
Dotter, Croatia
DanH

Post by DanH »

All three are great, but I L-O-V-E the first one. I really like the stem treatment on it and the contrast of the stain.

And since I don't think anyone has specifically mentioned it, the grain orientation is perfect for the shape on all three of them.

Nice work. You are definitely on the right track.