Good reads?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Good reads?

Post by Nick »

Does anyone have any suggestion on a good read about pipe making? I'm reading Hacker's the Ultimate Pipe Book atm. I'd love to read somthing that delves into the engineering of a pipe and the physics of the smoking process.

(I'm a geek, and I know it - LOL)
JMB

Post by JMB »

Nick wrote:
(I'm a geek, and I know it - LOL)

I've read all the "Mike Hammer" books, does that make me a "geek" or just a nut. Maybe just too much free time.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Greg Pease's website is always an entertaining read. Sometimes it's incredibly useful info too:
http://www.glpease.com

If you don't have it already, the PIMO book is a good foundation to build upon later.

Other than that, I don't know. I don't have a lot of time for book reading, so most of what I learn, I learn from the 'Net.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

You guys are making this forum the best pipe making read on the planet, IMO. I appreciate all the participation and great info!

Tyler
jeff

Post by jeff »

I've just read/am reading several books on pipes. Jeffers' book, The Perfect Pipe is by far the most well written of the three, but is not as detailed. His writing is pretty general and covers history, materials, construction, tobacco, etc. The greatest strength of the book is his use of pipe poetry and illustrations to liven up the topics.

The others are The Illustrated History of the Pipe by Liebert (not the most well written book, but very informative. Again, more general and broad in scope) and The Pipe Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide (which is also pretty poorly written, but contains a ton of info. It's brightest point is probably that half of it is dedicated to profiles of many of the world's most recognized pipemakers broken down by country.)

I've also read some of Rick Newcombe's new book, In Search of Pipe Dreams. It too is pretty good, but suffers from a severe case of disjointedness due to the very nature of its construction. But, it is definitely worth a read.

These are all pretty good sources. I'll comment on some more (and these, more thoroughly) once I have read them. I've got 4 more on the shelf waiting to be read, at the moment.

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too cool. I'm wading through The perfect Pipe and The Ultimate Pipe Book at the moment. Both seem to be very good reads. I agree with you on The Perfect Pipe, very well written.