bulldog drilling angles

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

bulldog drilling angles

Post by Sasquatch »

Is it fairly standard to cant the bowl a bit in a bent bulldog or rhody?

I'm thinking of pipes like a Peterson 999 (don't have one to look at).

The big disadvantage is that compared to the top of the pipe the bowl may present as somewhat oval, which on a turned pipe is really going to show up.

But in terms of actual drilling, it would make things much easier on some pipes....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

On a "catalog" bulldog, the axis of the tobacco chamber should be the same as the axis of the outside of the bowl. In addition, the plane that makes the top of the bowl should be perpendicular to the axis of the tobacco chamber.

On a straight bulldog, in relation to the shank, I cant the bowl forward several degrees. I don't really know how much, just whatever looks good to me.

On a bent bulldog or rhodesian, the axis of the tobacco chamber and bowl should be the same - as in the straight bulldog. The main difference is how you do the drilling for the bent pipe. You can see an example of this in the banner at the top of the page.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I was noticing that banner as I typed. :D

I did one with a bowl canted compared to the "outside shape", and the result was a very well drilled pipe, but like I say, the bowl looks oval because of the angle of intersection with the plane of the top of the pipe.

So be it... we drill straight!

Thanks Kurt.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Notice the tough drilling angle on the banner pipe. Sometimes the best shapes are a booger to pull off.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah that one would be a "rub" on the shank, wouldn't it? Especially for a butcher like me.... :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yeah, the drilling angles on the banner pipe might be an extreme example, but they're pretty common in workshop. I just drilled a handful of pipe kits, and each one that was designed to be bent has drilling just like that. It's the only way to get a pipe that doesn't *look* like it was made from a pipe kit. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

The drilling angles in the banner are not too bad. The main problem is that the bowl could be a bit deeper if a V shaped bit were used or if it were shaped into a Rhodesian without a diamond shank. Of course, then we have the problem of using a shape that for many people does not smoke well. Diamond shanked bulldogs may look nice and be traditional, but I've seen more than my fair share of old bulldogs that were soundly burnt out on the bottom. Anyway...

If I were to drill a straight bulldog, I would most certainly drill the chamber on the same axis that the bowl was turned. However, if there is to be any bend at all, I will always use different axes. An ovular chamber shape is not noticeable except at the most extreme differences in angles and can be corrected with a hand shaped chamfer to bridge the difference and trick the eye.

Best,

Jeff
ckr

Re: bulldog drilling angles

Post by ckr »

Banner? Am I missing something.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Yeah, I'm missing the bulldog banner too. When, if happening Kurt?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Just type http://www.pipemakersforum.com in the browser and the front page will come up. You're probably coming straight to the forums, and there doesn't seem to be a link back to the front page.

Or just click the link.

Jack
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Ahhh, there it is. It's like coming home to the smell of momma's cookin' after a cruise down the Congo into the heart of darkness. It'd be nice though if the banner were allowed to keep me company in my forum explorations.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

I agree with Kris in bringing back the banner if possible. i miss it.
Kevin
Nick

Post by Nick »

How's that pipe smoking Kurt?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Awesome! I smoke it about once a week, sometimes twice, and it never fails to be an excellent pipe. It typically gets filled with Byzantium, and really brings out the smoky flavor.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

too cool bud!