delrin rods in a hurry

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Bear

delrin rods in a hurry

Post by Bear »

if one needed to get some delrin rods in a hurry what would be the fastest place to find some? I need some in 5/16 diameter in a hurry.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: delrin rods in a hurry

Post by TRS »

I ordered some from Tim at JH Lowe and had them within a matter of a few days....
Kettletrigger

Post by Kettletrigger »

Enco, McMaster-Carr, MSC, Online Metals, etc all carry Acetal rod and ship pretty quickly. They offer overnight service too.

I've had good luck going to local plastic suppliers/shops and asking for offcuts. Gotten some great deals buying 2"-3" stubs of all kinds of plastics...usually in the neighborhood of $5/lb. That doesn't help much though if there aren't any plastic suppliers in your area. :)
"The free, exploring mind of the individual human
is the most valuable thing in the world."
-John Steinbeck
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Bear wrote:if one needed to get some delrin rods in a hurry what would be the fastest place to find some? I need some in 5/16 diameter in a hurry.
McMaster-Carr. Anything ordered before close of business is on your doorstep the next day.

Jack
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JHowell wrote:
Bear wrote:if one needed to get some delrin rods in a hurry what would be the fastest place to find some? I need some in 5/16 diameter in a hurry.
McMaster-Carr. Anything ordered before close of business is on your doorstep the next day.

Jack
Bingo! They drop-ship.

TJ

P.S. Make sure to get the smooth stuff. They've got a ribbed/knurled/textured variety too. Anybody who's ever ended up with it know of a better way to describe that?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

McMaster-Carr all the way. Even with standard shipping, as Jack and Todd said, I typically get my order the next day. That and they have everything except the most rare and specialized of materials and tools.

Todd, I've never seen the textured stuff - does it have a texture similar to classic lathe knurling?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:McMaster-Carr all the way. Even with standard shipping, as Jack and Todd said, I typically get my order the next day. That and they have everything except the most rare and specialized of materials and tools.

Todd, I've never seen the textured stuff - does it have a texture similar to classic lathe knurling?
No, it's actually just like a shallow scratched groove running in a corkscrew pattern.

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's strange - and interesting at the same time. I'm sure it has its uses, but I just can't think of what it might be.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com