Simple Lathe Chuck

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Pharaohfitz

Re: Simple Lathe Chuck

Post by Pharaohfitz »

JHowell wrote:I wouldn't say anything bad about Trent's stuff, but I saw one of his chucks at Premal's and I think the chuck jaws Mark made are better. ....

Jack
Well, I think you just did. Before we start critiquing other's products, I think it is fair to say that most of us are NOT machinists, as is evident from this and other threads. While name dropping may impress a few in our cadre, I think it is fair to say that unless you own tooling from a maker, Trent, Ken or anyone else, you probably should be cautious in your comparisons to other folk's work on a public forum. God knows we get enough criticism about our pipes. As for name dropping, Teddy Knudsen seemed very intrigued with Trent's work. :D

Is this a 6 inch, 5 inch or a 4 inch chuck? How much does all this weigh? A 4 inch chuck, jaws and all weighs about 6-8 pounds which is a lot less than the 20-25 pounds a lot of 6 inchers weigh. If it is larger than 4 inches, the inertia spinning up a 5 or 6 inch chuck on a 9x20 Jet, not to mention the numerous midi-lathes and other small lathes our friends use, could damage your machine or your chuck (capacitors in your motor). I think the serrations and pins on Trent's jaws work just fine as Rad and Frank mentioned above. Sharing of useful information for the safety and productivity of our group is my intention here. I think all of these folk's tooling will work just fine on the proper sized lathe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Pharaohfitz wrote:
JHowell wrote:I wouldn't say anything bad about Trent's stuff, but I saw one of his chucks at Premal's and I think the chuck jaws Mark made are better. ....

Jack
Well, I think you just did. Before we start critiquing other's products, I think it is fair to say that most of us are NOT machinists, as is evident from this and other threads. While name dropping may impress a few in our cadre, I think it is fair to say that unless you own tooling from a maker, Trent, Ken or anyone else, you probably should be cautious in your comparisons to other folk's work on a public forum. God knows we get enough criticism about our pipes. As for name dropping, Teddy Knudsen seemed very intrigued with Trent's work. :D
The thing is, if opinions are solicted, there's going to get some you don't agree with. Which is fine, people are free to ignore them. Jack gave his assessment, which was asked of him. Saying that something, in his opinion, is better than something else, isn't speaking ill of the 'something else'. It's an assessment of relative quality or usefulness in the context that he uses it for. If you disagree, that's perfectly within your rights as well - you are free to ignore it or offer your own opinions on the 'something else'.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Pharaohfitz wrote:

Jack
Well, I think you just did.
Perhaps you're being a bit too critical of Jack's remark. Pointing out features that make one item better than another doesn't mean the other one is "bad". In fact, this is exactly the forum to critique pipemaking-specific items. For example, if someone consistently sells crap briar, this is where you hear about it and know to avoid buying from them.

JHowell wrote:I think the chuck jaws Mark made are better. More rigid geometry and replaceable faces, for starters. The set Mark made on spec has the pins -- I didn't want them so they're not on mine.
I didn't realise that Mark was now marketing his jaws. Given the pros and cons that have been mentioned about such chucks, folks can now decide for themselves if they want a Mark or a Trent or a Ken chuck/jaws.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Pharaohfitz

Post by Pharaohfitz »

I am not critical of anyone or their opinion. I expressed my opinion as has everyone else. If I have offended anyone it was not intended. I do think we need to support those who are trying to help our hobby or profession with tooling as well as those who want to provide useful information for making informed purchases. Todd's original thread is quite useful and some technical comments on chuck size/weight, jaws, inertia and the size of lathes should be welcomed. "Sharing of useful information for the safety and productivity of our group is my intention here." Opinions are OK too. I guess I didn't kiss the correct ring :doh:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Pharaohfitz wrote:While name dropping may impress a few in our cadre,
Name dropping?

Rad
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

RadDavis wrote:
Name dropping?

Rad

Check it out, Rad's now dropping his own name. :shock:
Pharaohfitz

Post by Pharaohfitz »

Sorry, I should have quoted. But I am impressed with Rad in any event. :D
Frank

Post by Frank »

kbadkar wrote:
RadDavis wrote:
Name dropping?

Rad
Check it out, Rad's now dropping his own name. :shock:
And here I was thinking it was just an abbreviation for Radical :wink: . Actually, Rad's name should be dropped.... like a fockn hot potato! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Pharaohfitz wrote:

Jack

Every once in a while I find myself possessed of a conviction. Out of the number of times that happens, once in a while I feel compelled to state it.

Oddly enough, I WAS cautious. I own at least some tooling from both Trent and Ken. I guess it reflects well on Brad that I've been accused of name-dropping, but that wasn't my intention.

Jack
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If a guy uses/sees/handles or in any other way comes into contact with a choice of tools, and feels that one is better than the other in some specific way, I for one want to know. It doesn't amount to name-dropping and it doesn't force my mind into a reverie about the possibly better tool.

Ask me about my table saw, my chop saw, my nailers, my portable saws, my drills, cordless and otherwise, and I'll tell you why I have each and every one, and not some other one. It's professional discrimination, not name dropping.

This message is brought to you by the good people of Mitsumi Keyboards. "Mitsumi Keyboards - they have all the letters, every time."
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nick

Post by Nick »

And you know what else? Snakes taste like chicken!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

And now, for something completely different...
Nick wrote:And you know what else? Snakes taste like chicken!