Ebonite rod source

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Ebonite rod source

Post by TRS »

I'm wondering where most people are getting their ebonite. I've seen the posts about group orders from SEM and whatnot; does that sort of thing still happen? I've only ordered from PME and I was very happy with the product and service, I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something price-wise. Thanks all!
Frank

Re: Ebonite rod source

Post by Frank »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I'm wondering where most people are getting their ebonite. I've seen the posts about group orders from SEM and whatnot; does that sort of thing still happen? I've only ordered from PME and I was very happy with the product and service, I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something price-wise. Thanks all!
Kurt handled a bulk buy from SEM a short while back. If enough guys chime in wanting more SEM Ebonite, including the Oversized Ostrogoth, he might do a bulk buy. Once it's in the works, you just have to be patient. Some guys get antsy because it takes awhile.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

No problem! If it happens again, I'd be honored to be included. I'm the picture of patience.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Paul Hubartt and I are going in on a bulk buy from SEM (very soon i hope). as you get a discount for ordering larger quanitities im sure he will be selling smaller quantities to other pipe makers to help re-coup some of the investment. If you might be interested in some then let me know (email me through my site) and ill keep you updated.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I just got PME's email newsletter, and it looks to me like they're getting at least some of their rod from SEM now, the colored "cumberland" type for sure, and their black ebonite is top notch, whichever supplier (SEM or Hamburg) they are using. So, no need to wait for a group buy, really... just pay a small premium for the convenience of a rod or two at time, when you need it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If anyone really wants swirls, I could let some go at a per-inch price of $3.50/inch plus shipping I have all the colors that were in production a year ago (tan, brown, blue, green, yellow, red).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com