coffee or tea

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
a-davidson

coffee or tea

Post by a-davidson »

i've taken a bit of a poll on msn before about what people like to drink while they smoke. some reply with specific spirits, some just say coke or diet pepsi (i like barqs rootbeer), but most said just water or good coffee. i'm a fan of a good strong cup of coffee with any tobacco. i personally have a pot of starbucks [cafe vienna, sumatra, french roast] in the shop. todd intorduced me to some tea that i find awsome with any tobacco. the brand is 'yogi tea' and the blend is 'egyptian licorice' i've found it at whole food stores and kroger, but it's usually in the organic section. black box, you can't miss it. the main ingredient of licorice root has the illusion of sweetness though there is no sugar in the tea. i find this to be my favorite drink with a virginia or latakia and a few of my friends agree, eh scott?

try it!

adam
munkey

Post by munkey »

Yeah, the tea is good stuff. I really like it with VA tobaccos as it highlights the sweetness. I've also tried a similar blend by Stash that I may like a bit better than the Yogi.

I also enjoy a good port with a pipe, or coffee, or root beer, or... guess it depeneds on my mood, what I'm smoking, and what's handy.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

When smoking a pipe, I tend to prefer dark roasted, or at least on the dark side of medium roasted coffee. I tend to smoke heavy blends like 1792, Balkan Flake, or Pirate Cake - so I like the accompanying drink to also be strong in flavor. However, I also smoke lighter blends, like Odyssey or London Squire, and for those I prefer a tea like this one from Republic Of Tea:
http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/ ... p?navID=14

A couple times a week I'll fill my pipe with Autumn Evening, one of only two aromatic/flavored tobaccos that I smoke, and when I do, I like a pint of deep amber ale to go with it - preferably one with lager-like qualities, and on the very malty side.

I can't smoke a lot of VA blends because they bite something awful. I can never taste the sweetness in them - only pain.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

Ok I realize this is an old thread but coffee or stout just hits the spot. Strong coffee seems to work with any style I like to smoke but a strong English or scandinavian or natural tobacco goes nice with stout ale.
helicopters do not eat their offspring
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I pipe up here too. I enjoy good black coffee while smoking. I smoke mostly at work, so nothing stronger during the day. :wink:
I have been doing home roasting for several years and have settled into KenyaAA as an everday coffee. Rich and chocolatey.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Ah, this is always a fun thread.

I'll have to try some of those teas... That sounds interesting. Might even be interesting to try icing it. I like everything else mentioned, aside from soft drinks. I find the carbonation in soft drinks tends to increase tongue bit, while I find the carbonation in bear to be entirely pleasant, along with the rest of that fine beverage.

Autumn evening is also one of the very few aromatics I smoke. It's a great change of pace smoke for me. It's great with coffee too, but yes, a deep amber ale would certainly do the trick latter in the day. I've been enjoying New Castle, a traditional pub style brown ale. That's works very nicely and won't break the bank.

I love strongly brewed French Roast coffee, and especially enjoy that with a light English. Something like GLP Piccadilly is perfect. In fact, that's my favorite morning combination.

For an afternoon smoke, I like something like ice tea, with a bit of citrus and splenda. Sometimes I just have ice water with a bit of citrus and splenda, or straight ice water.

Late afternoon/early evening. A good ale, stout, or porter. Something with a lot of malt, although I like hoppy brews too. A Trappis brew like Chimay is perfect . I like that with straight VA, VA/Perique (easy on the Perique).

After dinner I love a good brandy or port and a heavy English. These are usually my favorite smoke and beverage combinations. I've been branching out into whiskeys lately too. I really enjoy Macallan's, which I gather is one of the more accessible single malts. I know there is better, or more complex scotch, but I find good Isle scotches like Laphroaig to be a bit mediciney. Some of our good KY bourbons are excellent too. I'm new to all the whiskeys, but starting to enjoy them with an evening smoke on occasion. I've determined that one would need more padding about the pocket book to enjoy these with much age on them, which is where they really seem to excel.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
ericlrobinson

Post by ericlrobinson »

I haven't had the coffee and tea while smoking my pipe, some day I will give it a try.

Usually I end up smoking in the evening after dinner, so typically I have a good ol glass of whiskey with my smoke. That is my drink of choice.
Eric L Robinson

"Be a winner today, pick a fight with a four year old"

http://www.pipes.ericlrobinson.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I don't drink as much coffee as I used to, but when I do, I like the darkest roast possible loaded up with cream with to go along with a pipe. Cola is good, too, if I want something cold but not eye-crossing. In terms of spirits/beers, I like a crisp Boddingtons most times for beer, and a B&B on the rocks for the spirits. Doesn't seem to matter much which baccys(or cigars) I mix and match with either, it's all good where I come from. :D
ericlrobinson

Post by ericlrobinson »

Good news!

I tried some dark roast coffee tonight with my smoke. It was pretty amazing. The coffee is for some reason a bit more pleasant and relaxing than the ol' whiskey was.

Thanks for the idea guys.
Eric L Robinson

"Be a winner today, pick a fight with a four year old"

http://www.pipes.ericlrobinson.com
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

Ok new experience tonight. We ran out of coffee this morning so I made a batch of lipton green tea with twinnings lemon tea. Now I dont put much sugar in tea. maybe a little hone but seldom sugar. The little bit of honey I put in seemed to be highlighted when smoking some of my homegrown cased with coffee and tia maria. Has a litle english taste and smell and did it surprize me with the green tea combo.
I dare you to Try it, it was great
helicopters do not eat their offspring
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

I was spoiled for many years. I used to manage the Badass Coffee co. of salt lake city. We specialized in kona coffee. Nothing like a cup of kona with a dash of cream and some dunhill 965.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

smokingpat wrote:I was spoiled for many years. I used to manage the Badass Coffee co. of salt lake city. We specialized in kona coffee. Nothing like a cup of kona with a dash of cream and some dunhill 965.
Kona...The good stuff!
I like it better than anything coming out of Jamacia. I also am roasting a lot of Costa Rician and Kenya AA. Can't get enough of it. :P
Cobra

Re: coffee or tea

Post by Cobra »

My favourite coffee is Maxwell House Rich Dark Roast drunk black and my favourite tobacco is Erinmore Flake in a large bowl Prince.
Bear

Post by Bear »

In my humble opinion a nice cup of black coffee is best for a morning smoke, and for some reason I love smoking one of my churchwardens to start the day. In the evening after a long day I really enjoy sipping on a glass of nice brandy while winding down and smoking a oversized pipe. But that's just me.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Kona has to be my fave, but its most often too rich for my wallet. Kona Peaberry is just to die for. I usually have coffee with my pipe, but occasionally, i have a beer. I've found Irish whiskey to be excelent with a full Va, and a nice bourbon to go best with English. LOL - I never noticed until now how the Irish and the English don't mix well.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

harpoon winter warmer w/ dark tobacco & harpoon cider w/ virginia red for my evening smoke outside under the stars. fall is a good time to be a pipe smoker.
Nick

Post by Nick »

You said it! Fall is the prime time of pipe smoking!