Deer antler stem question

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
T3pipes

Deer antler stem question

Post by T3pipes »

After drilling a hole through the piece, should I coat the inside with something?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Deer antler stem question

Post by KurtHuhn »

Are you using the antler as the entire stem, as a shank extension, as a ring on a stem?

As a stem, no, I don't think you'd want to. I have never used antler as a stem though, so that's just supposition.

As a shank extension, yes. It should be fitted over a tenon of wood similar to how other shank adornments are done.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

When I do a deer antler shank extension, and I have done four so far, I line it with something. Once I used brass tubing, the other times I sleeved it in acrylic.

Antler is porous and will absorb moisture and can swell enough to crack a tenon if not lined. If you can live with that, I did one as an experiment that was unlined. The tenon is loose when cold, but after about ten minutes of smoking it's too tight to pull the bit. It does color like meerschaum, though, which is why I tried it. No off-flavors so far, but I'm ready for something nasty to start growing in it any day now... :o Looks pretty cool, though, and after all image is everything in pipe smoking as well all know. :wink:
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

IMHO Deer antler is more than disgusting... putting it into my mouth... blaaah.

Sorry for interrupting you.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I'm using about 2 inches of the antler, with an acrylic mouth piece. Should be done tomorrow.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah! In that case, yes - it will be easiest and best to put the antler over a tenon of acrylic or delrin.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com