Stamping is bad for you

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Stamping is bad for you

Post by SimeonTurner »

I'm pretty sure that instead of worrying about the effects of tobacco use, the surgeon general should start crafting warning messages about stamping pipes. LOL

I am in the final stages of finishing a club pipe order of 15 pipes. Today I finally mustered up the courage to stamp them all, which was an even more involved process than usual because in addition to my own stamp, I was stamping the club lettering on the pipe as well.

14 pipes down (with mainly satisfactory results), and 1 to go, I wound up with this:

:shock:

Turns out there was a small flaw in the wood lurking just below the finished surface which ran horizontally across the shank, and when I pressed the stamp in...CRACK.

Oh man...that hurts. Now I have to make another pipe for the club pipe order, which means it will be that much longer before I can start on Christmas pipes. *sigh*
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Stamping is bad for you

Post by TRS »

Look on the bright side; at least you found that flaw..... :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Look on the bright side; at least you found that flaw..... :D
ROFL!!

Of course, you're right. Better to find it now than have the customer find it with similar results.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Ouch.
I feel your pain Simeon. The final step on the final pipe.
Kevin
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I know your pain. Not from stamping though. I was making identical pipes and out of the first 5 blocks i marked out and drilled only two of them were good enough to be finished. All the others showed up flaws as some stage. Very frustrating. The only good thing is that i was able to re-use the stems.