What to do with a flaw like this?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
tallman

What to do with a flaw like this?

Post by tallman »

tallman

Re: What to do with a flaw like this?

Post by tallman »

OK, I meant to hit preview, not submit...anyway, this is a pipe I'm working on..my thumbnail will slide up into this flaw...it's pretty deep. Should I fill it and rusticate? If so, what is the best method for filling? I tried mixing some wood glue and briar dust on another project, but it sure was dark. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Murray
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

It looks like you have another flaw there too on the rim. If it's for you and the flaw doesn't go through to the chamber, I'd say leave it and don't let flaws bother you. It's a natural material, Nature has Her flaws, but no one will call Her imperfect, if you catch my drift.

When I find a flaw that changes the direction of the original shaping concept, I find a way to work with the flaw, instead of around it. Make pipes with character.

Of course, no pipe purchasers would agree with me. They'd rather you hide it and stick their heads in the sand.

And nothing looks worse to me than a pipe with an obvious fill (which they all are). It's like the maker is insecure and has something to hide - like a bad boob job or facelift - I lose respect for the cosmetic vanity and deception.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

If you do try to fill it, you can try CA glue (superglue) mixed with briar dust (maybe like 220 grit dust). It won't completely hide it, and if you are selling it you would really need to let your customer know in advance, but it would get the job done.

Good luck!
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

If it was me, I would rusticate it. But use a rustication technique that mimics the flaw.

Basically you would want to use a dremel-type tool with a bit that can do a sharp groove, similar to the flaw.

And you'd want to go alongside the flaw making similar grooves, but being careful not to dig out the flaw any more than it already is.

Maybe use a knife point as a scraper, if you need to make the flaw look more like the grooves you're making with the rotary tool, but that's about it.

Then stain everything dark, and the flaw should only be visible at certain angles, under certain lighting conditions.

Somebody around here did a similar rustication that reminded me of tree bark, seen from a distance, but I can't find the picture right now.
tallman

Post by tallman »

You know what's great about this forum? Some of the best pipemakers in the country are willing to answer the questions of a hobbyist like me. Thank you, gents. I'll let you know how this big old flaw turns out.

Murray
daniel

Post by daniel »

id just stain it adding red or whatever colour straight into the flaw with an injection needle,
so that it would look that its bleeding...