maple bowl and viburnum stem

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Benton

maple bowl and viburnum stem

Post by Benton »

This is pipe that I finished and started smoking recently. It is an experiment, so I didn't sand or finish it because I want to know how it smokes first.
The stummel is maple (3/4" x 1 1/4" tobacco chamber) and is shaped something like Santa's pipe in my daughter's Night Before Xmas book.
The stem is the real experiment. It's a natural viburnum stem that I drilled out with a homemade drill bit made from a piece of heavy steel wire. I pounded one end of the wire flat and filed the end into a point. Viburnum has a soft pith that the drill bit follows, so you can drill right through a 14" piece even if it has a little bend in it.
My first smoke wasn't very good because some of the pith remained in the stem and swelled up, which reduced the draw to nothing. The unfinished wood mouthpiece also sticks to the lips, which isn't very pleasant, but at least there were no funny off flavors.
After reaming the stem again and finishing the mouthpiece with melted beeswax, the second smoke was much better. It is a very dry smoking pipe, which is good. Maybe the tobacco flavors are a little muted compared to a broken-in briar, but that really isnt' a fair comparison because this pipe is nowhere near broken in.
Overall, I think it was a worthwhile experiment and I think I'll make another one. The cost is zero, so I could make a whole pile of them and dedicate each one to a different tobacco.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice shaping bud!
Benton

Re: maple bowl and viburnum stem

Post by Benton »

Early this year, a fire started in my shop about 5 feet to the left of the pipe in this picture and my shop burned to the ground. The fire was started by a generator, BTW, not the ashtray.

I spent all summer rebuilding and retooling my new shop, but still don't have my lathe or workbench set up. I can't wait to get back to building pipes again.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Ouch, that sucks. I wish you speed and luck!

(And I hope you didn't lose too much good wood....)
Benton

Post by Benton »

I lost a few things that were irreplaceable, like a wooden plane that was my grandfather's, but the new shop is very nice. I've been spending some time smoking cigars out there until I can get my tools set up and make some pipes. The insurance company was very easy to work with and paid up promptly, which was great.