staining question...

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
circularthoughts

staining question...

Post by circularthoughts »

So, I've looked for the answer to what is probably a stupid question, but can't find it.

I have a pipe that I buffed with carnauba wax without putting on any stain. I now think I want to see what it looks like with stain. Do I need to sand again before applying the stain?

Thanks...
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: staining question...

Post by kbadkar »

Yup, the wax won't like the stain on it.

If you leave it natural, it will naturally darken after smoking many bowls to somewhat of a "contrast stain" look.
circularthoughts

great. thanks. so, what grit do I need to use?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I dunno, start with 320 and see if that gets er off easy. You can tell when it's coming off. If you have to work too hard, drop a grit lower and work your way back up.
circularthoughts

will do. thanks. i love this forum!!!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I dropped a finished pipe and put a nice dink in it. 400 grit removes the wax, but it gums up fast.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

T3pipes wrote:I dropped a finished pipe and put a nice dink in it. 400 grit removes the wax, but it gums up fast.
When that happens ( :roll: ) I usually wipe the pipe down with a cloth damp with some denatured alcohol then steam the dent out with a reject knife blade heated with a MAPP torch. Kinda the same as using a soldering iron, but quicker.

For that procedure, search the forums or ask here - actually, that's a good sticky how-to. It happens to everyone and everyone should know that trick. If there's a sufficient groundswell I might be persuaded to put together a photo essay.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

To take off any kind of wax I just slop some plain old rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub thoroughly, works great. I always polish a smooth pipe with red Tripoli before I stain to see how it would look as a virgin, (unstained piece), if I then decide to go back and stain, I use alcohol to remove any residue of the compound. I go through lots of rubbing alcohol but it's much cheaper than the denatured stuff and works great. bob