blown-fish

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
T3pipes

blown-fish

Post by T3pipes »

"Measure twice, cut once". I didn't.

Any suggestions on salvaging this? The flaws in the wood do not go into the air hole.

If considered plugging the extra hole and sanding it into shape, but wanted some knowledgeable advice first if you could please.

Nick

Re: blown-fish

Post by Nick »

Been there. Done that. UGH!!

Edit: OHH! You know what you should do? Make a calvilier! Put a spear like thing on the end of it a'la Satao. Or, if you're feeling really silly (and this is what I'd do) put a rubber dart like thing on the end of it, so that if you want to take a break from smoking it you could just stick it to a window.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Where's the bowl in relation to this? If you just plug up the hole, does the pipe still smoke?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

bottom of the bowl is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch in. I plugged it and tested for air leaks. Should smoke fine.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, I mean, obviously it isn't going into the "Greatest Pipes Ever Made" museum, so what you do with it now is all just going in the "experience" category.

So if you go to plug it, given that it is near the bottom of the bowl, you need a heat-proof adhesive, and a water proof one as well.

Can you spin a little briar plug on the lathe? Then you could ram it in, and maybe glue just the last couple mm (so you don't have glue inside the chamber).....
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, I mean, obviously it isn't going into the "Greatest Pipes Ever Made" museum
True, but it may be a contender for the "Greatest Pipes Ever Made with Extra Holes" museum.

Anyway... That is what I ended up doing.

This is after the first staining and sanding. As you can see, it has some rather bad natural flaws in the same area, so I didn't cry too much.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Interesting. It doesn't show up that bad, does it?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice!