Another *** ****** thread

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Another *** ****** thread

Post by Sasquatch »

I've been curious about *** ******, as so much is made of pre 68 dunhills, and other *** ***** pipes (Ashton, etc), and I enjoy my Randy Wiley, so I thought I might horse around a little bit.

So I did some reading, asked some questions, put a few things together, and had a crack. I mixed ********* and ********* **** together in a ratio of **:** and heated them to a temperature of ***F (***C), in which I immersed a bunch of clean offcuts of briar - all PME Algerian, which I think is Yazid's stuff (right?). I kept the pieces in for differing amounts of time, removing the first piece after about * hours, and putting it in an oven (after wiping the *** off). The temperature of the oven was ***F (***C) and absolutely nothing happened. So I continued to increase the temperature of the oven (meanwhile removing blocks periodically from the hot ***). Finally, at a temperature of ***F (***C) it became apparent that the *** was interested in coming back out of the briar. So I maintained that temperature for a few hours and wiped the residue off the blocks until I became tired of the whole thing and went out to the shop.

The net result is this: Nothing. Nothing at all. This process amounts to a chemical extraction of resins from the wood - only, that's been done already. I was expecting/hoping that the *** bath would radically change color, and taste like burnt tires or something, but the fact is, the *** that came back out of the briar was the same as what went in.

What this means, as far as I can tell, is that the briar was well boiled and cured, and doesn't have anything left to yield up to an extraction process. I suspect that crappy briar would have leached more yucko into the bath.

At any rate, I think I convinced myself that for the briar I buy, this process is a waste of time, and probably would do more harm than good. I think my chances of building a rancid pipe are pretty high, and I ain't spending 2 weeks wiping these stupid things as they weep, and also my wife needs the oven for what we in the industry call "supper".

So there you have it. The complete *** ****** Primer.

YMMV
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
T3pipes

Re: Another *** ****** thread

Post by T3pipes »

You should try making some *******. Put one gallon of ******* with a cup of ******, then let it ***** for a bit. About **** **** should be fine.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I ******, then ****** after I ******.
I know Todd and Rad ******, but that's a different story.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

What Todd and Rad do in the privacy of their own shops is none of my business, but I suspect that ***** could get pretty *****.
:shock:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
flix

Post by flix »

What in the ******* are you ******** talking about!?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

T3, that's a great suggestion, and Bruce, I really appreciate you letting me in on that. Wink, wink, nudge nudge.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nick

Post by Nick »

I generally rub my **** really hard, adding some ********* to easy the friction until it****s. After that i clean up with an old ****. It doesn't do much fro the briar, but i sure feel better afterwards.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I'm happy I don't see the **** when you are talking about rubbing your ***** with ***** :mrgreen: