Two Large Billiards and a Question

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Two Large Billiards and a Question

Post by staffwalker »

Made a couple of large billiards but I'm not familiar with sizes. What do you guys think, large, extra large, magnum??? I'll post a photo comparing them to what I would consider a normal billiard, an Edwards, about a dunhill size 4. I'm really interested in what you think as to size, if you had made something this size would you say, "I made a magnum or I made an XXL or what"? Feel free to also comment on the pipes if you like. As usual the photography sucks, not a problem, I'll figure that out when I need to. The measurements are:

Comparison, an Edwards 704S Billiard
.80 wide chamber
1.60 deep chamber
5.85 length
1.48 bowl width
1.90 bowl height

Large Saddle Stem

.80 wide chamber
2.10 deep chamber
6.63 length
1.85 bowl width
2.45 bowl height

Large Tapered Stem
.80 wide chamber
2.30 deep chamber
6.90 length
1.90 bowl width
2.70 bowl height

Here is a pic of the three pipes for size comparison.

The saddle stem.

The tapered stem.

Nick

Re: Two Large Billiards and a Question

Post by Nick »

Just large I'd say. Not eve XL.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'd like to see a pic of them in your hand... that's how I usually recognize a magnum size, etc.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think you're talking about a really large pipe at 2" chamber depth. The largest in my collection are that deep. If a Peterson XL is the standard, than yours are XXL.

I saw some Kaywoodie Magnums, and the bowl was 3" tall (more like a Peterson House pipe for size) and that's getting into the ridiculous.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Bob, I'm no good at sizing pipes but one thing I notice on both pipes that is distracting me is that the shanks taper too sharply for my taste. I love the rustication and the finish on both. Nice work as usual.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Wayne, I agree about the taper, it was a conscious decision on my part, perhaps a bad decision. The pipes are so large I felt to make the stems less tapered would have given the effect of a pencil attached to the bottom side of a vegetable can. It also would have ensured the shank would break if the pipe were ever dropped. The taper, while deviating from the standard billiard seems to substantiate the idea of massiveness and indestructibly. bob