Jet BD-920N

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
smokindawg

Jet BD-920N

Post by smokindawg »

I know these lathes have probably been discussed before but I couldn't find the threads. I'm thinking about buying one of these from Craigslist. It's only a couple hours from me, so worth looking at. It comes with the factory stand as well and the guy wants $650 for it.

I have a Craftsman/Atlas 6x18 and while tooled up pretty well, is a tad small for drilling blocks, but works well for other things. I'm thinking about upsizing to this one and wanted to get others thoughts on the Jet.

I also figure used tooling for it will be easy to find as well. Any thoughts on that either?
Pipe Maker in the Making!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Jet BD-920N

Post by KurtHuhn »

The Jet is a very good tool for that price. Lots of guys use them or similar models. Used tooling is available all over the place - just be sure to sanity check them, as some parts from other nameplates (like Grizzly or Enco) will not be compatible.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I thought as much Kurt......... I was mostly talking chucks and such as far as tooling, which if the correct morse taper and thread should work fine.
From what I've found the price the guy wants is less than half what a new one cost without the base. Now the question: If I make the purchase, should I sell off my smaller craftsman (Has timkin roller bearings) and my Delta Midi lathe, both of which are tooled up pretty well. I mean, they could make nice lathes for a newby that has nothing right now.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

smokindawg wrote:Now the question: If I make the purchase, should I sell off my smaller craftsman (Has timkin roller bearings) and my Delta Midi lathe, both of which are tooled up pretty well. I mean, they could make nice lathes for a newby that has nothing right now.
Speaking as a tool guy... no. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I'm a tool guy too......... So understand the reasoning behind that answer Kurt.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

These work just fine for pretty much everything you'll need to do. I eventually found the 9 x 20's limiting and went to a 12 x 36. Now the 9 x 20 feels like a tinker-toy, but it's all just a matter of perspective. I would also recommend holding onto the other lathes.

TJ
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and your thoughts on this lathe. I talked the guy down to $600 so I'll be going to get it tomorrow. Now, does anyone want to help me explain it to my wife? :thumbsup:
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

ToddJohnson wrote:These work just fine for pretty much everything you'll need to do. I eventually found the 9 x 20's limiting and went to a 12 x 36. Now the 9 x 20 feels like a tinker-toy, but it's all just a matter of perspective. I would also recommend holding onto the other lathes.

TJ
I have just ordered a metal lathe with a swing over bed of 7''. I did some rough calculation and reckoned this would be enough for most traditional shapes, although I may have to saw off some corners and scraps on some blocks before chucking them on the lathe. I guess the 9x20 thing is quite enough for nearly all pipes. Todd, can you explain the additional advantages of an even larger one like 12x36, say, what shapes of pipes, which parts of a pipe, what manouvers of operation, etc., require these lathes?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

m.c. wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:These work just fine for pretty much everything you'll need to do. I eventually found the 9 x 20's limiting and went to a 12 x 36. Now the 9 x 20 feels like a tinker-toy, but it's all just a matter of perspective. I would also recommend holding onto the other lathes.

TJ
I have just ordered a metal lathe with a swing over bed of 7''. I did some rough calculation and reckoned this would be enough for most traditional shapes, although I may have to saw off some corners and scraps on some blocks before chucking them on the lathe. I guess the 9x20 thing is quite enough for nearly all pipes. Todd, can you explain the additional advantages of an even larger one like 12x36, say, what shapes of pipes, which parts of a pipe, what manouvers of operation, etc., require these lathes?
I concur with Todd regarding a larger lathe. For me, it's a matter of stability, safety and confidence. The larger lathes also allow greater flexibility. My 9 x 20 now has limited itself to doing small tasks and for delrin tenons. Free hand drilling just seems to be easier, due to the stability, with the larger lathe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

smokindawg wrote:Now, does anyone want to help me explain it to my wife? :thumbsup:
You're totally on your own there. I've got my own tool acquisition explaining to do. :mrgreen:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

m.c. wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Todd, can you explain the additional advantages of an even larger one like 12x36, say, what shapes of pipes, which parts of a pipe, what manouvers of operation, etc., require these lathes?
No.
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

:roll:
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

m.c. wrote: :roll:
Back from 10+ hours of solitary gawky fuddly eye-rolling.

Thank you Bruce, for the answer.

Thank you Todd, for answering. And, fair. :yield:
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I picked up the lathe. It's not as big a lathe as expected, but at the same time much bigger than the 6x18 Craftsman/atlas I already have.

The lathe has barely been used, but needs a good cleaning. There was a box of extras, some that were purchased with the lathe new, some that weren't, but I did get a good deal. Now the fun of finding a chuck that I can make jaws for to do my drilling.

I've also joined a forum set up for the 9x20 lathes and already have some ideas in mind to upgrade the lathe to make it more useful, as well as easier to use.

Thanks again for the advice here.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Won't my wife love me? I spent another $300 on the new lathe today. I ordered a chuck that my block drilling setup will fit, a 4 jaw self-centering chuck (So I can make my own block drilling chuck), a set of boring bars and picked up some 1/2" tool steel and 2 1/2" aluminum round stock. (Fun part will be trying to drill the tool steel.)

The tool steel and round stock will be used to make some upgrades. The tool steel will be used to build a 4 bolt compound clamp to replace the weak 2 bolt. I'll also make one so that I can easily change from the bigger QCTP to my smaller one when I want to do some close in cutting. The round stock will be used for a few different projects.

Another project I'd like to make is a ball cutter. I found lots of great projects to play around with and can't wait to get started using this lathe.

I just hope the wife understands when the packages arrive.
Nick

Post by Nick »

smokindawg wrote:Won't my wife love me? I spent another $300 on the new lathe today. I ordered a chuck that my block drilling setup will fit, a 4 jaw self-centering chuck (So I can make my own block drilling chuck), a set of boring bars and picked up some 1/2" tool steel and 2 1/2" aluminum round stock. (Fun part will be trying to drill the tool steel.)

The tool steel and round stock will be used to make some upgrades. The tool steel will be used to build a 4 bolt compound clamp to replace the weak 2 bolt. I'll also make one so that I can easily change from the bigger QCTP to my smaller one when I want to do some close in cutting. The round stock will be used for a few different projects.

Another project I'd like to make is a ball cutter. I found lots of great projects to play around with and can't wait to get started using this lathe.

Except for the last line, I have no idea what you just said. My lathe has an on switch. That's all i know. My other one doesn't have an on switch, but i just unplug it.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Nick wrote:
smokindawg wrote:Won't my wife love me? I spent another $300 on the new lathe today. I ordered a chuck that my block drilling setup will fit, a 4 jaw self-centering chuck (So I can make my own block drilling chuck), a set of boring bars and picked up some 1/2" tool steel and 2 1/2" aluminum round stock. (Fun part will be trying to drill the tool steel.)

Except for the last line, I have no idea what you just said. My lathe has an on switch. That's all i know. My other one doesn't have an on switch, but i just unplug it.
At least they aren't treadle operated............ :lol: Having an on/off switch is a plus. You don't use the lathes, or just don't know much about them?