How to pack flake?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
NateTheBookie

How to pack flake?

Post by NateTheBookie »

In a great show of noobness, I just tried to smoke my first batch of flake (McClelland 221b Honeydew) and I can't get it to stay lit. I've been smoking the regular stuff for 7 years and have pretty well determined my preferred packing method (hand-packed, lit, then tamped while lit). But the granularity of the flake seems to be defeating my best efforts. Is there anything special ya'll do to get a nice pack with flake?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: How to pack flake?

Post by kbadkar »

I fully rub it out first (trying to separate ribbons out of the flake block) and let it air dry for awhile, depending on moisture content. Then pack as you normally would.

Some people fold the flake right into the bowl (not too tight!). The flake has to be pretty dry to keep it lit with this packing method, but if you get it right, the tobacco will smoke nice and slow due to the flake density and actually mellows the flavor profile, IMO.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

i don't think you have to stress about rubbing it out fully. i rub out into broken flakes.

flake is generally a little "wet" which i think is part of it's apeal- it has that fresh, sweet and pungent thing going on. i smoke mostly rattray's flakes (which are rubbed and probably why i don't stress over it). i air some out for a half an hour before smoking. it burns fine. i wouldn't air more than an hour though. it can get a little bitter.

one of my favorite flakes. sam gawith full virginia is pressed really hard and tough to rub. i smoke that in broken flakes and it's great.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Roll it in a ball, load like a cannon. Apply flame.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!