Abi Natur introduction

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Abi Natur

Abi Natur introduction

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi guys,
my name is Abi Natur and i practice myself in the art of pipe making .
For some time now i have been watching with great interest your unique pipe-makers forum which indeed is a jewel of knowledge on this wide net.
I appreciate this forum very much because it is a unique place of knowledge,artistry and a gathering place of established pipe-makers who can give there constructive criticism to other aspiring pipe-makers.

Being into applied arts for more than 15 years creating in mosaics and engravings i full circled into my childhood memories reviving the olive wood freehand pipe, giving my vision from the past a future. I kept the traditional all freehand practice so my pipes are not made by using a wood lathe, the mouthpiece is also freehand cut using SEM Ebonite. The finished pipes are triple waxed with carnauba .
I create pipes in the city of Bar - Montenegro , a beautiful country on the Adriatic sea with its huge mountains running step into the sea.The olive tree species “Barska Zutica - Olea europea” only found around the old port of Bar grows for years in intense sea-mountain climate that makes it to one of the most dense materials for pipes. The oldest olive tree in the world that grows also in Bar is the approximately 2000 year old “Stara Maslina” which means translated “ Old Olive”.
I personally harvest my olive wood from trees older than 350 up to 800 years old ,cure it by grandpa's recipe and then let it rest for some time.The wood used for pipes is free of any irregularity in the materials structure and has a distinguished natural aroma that develops from it. The best and rarest olive wood is the one growing on almost bare stone , this natural fight for survival over hundreds of years is reflected through the marble like grain and great density .This olive wood is drying for many years very slowly while from the inside the micro circulation adapts the material to high temperatures and winds that bring sea-salt and iodine ,and most important is the olive oil that makes it in the drying process smooth not allowing it to dry out over the long years of harsh environmental circumstances. Part of the curing does mother nature in specific geographic micro-locations the rest is Grandfathers secret.
Olive-wood pipes have a very long history in terms of hundreds of years, as a tree that symbolizes peace through the ages ,so it finds naturally its place in an ancient object that also stands for a symbol of peace . The curing of the wood for pipes by the hand of the pipe-maker is a very rewarding and traditional experience that reflects fully in the pipe that is made. The biggest reward is the full circle i can close from the search for the right olive wood through the pipe craft to the finished pipe.

Here are some of my early works;
ImageImage
Helios

ImageImageImage
Poseidon

ImageImageImage
Achilles

ImageImage
Perseus
Last edited by Abi Natur on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Sasquatch

Re: Canaan pipes introduction

Post by Sasquatch »

Those are cool, and have a distinctly "eastern" flare. That olive you are using is very pretty.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

I appreciate your thoughts on this Sasquatch.
I have also interest in the art of the far east and honor therfor the Japanese school of pipe making .
Last edited by Abi Natur on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charl

Post by Charl »

Great looking olive wood! Welcome and hope to see more.
Oh, and nice looking pipes.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Thank you Charl, yes it can be sometimes quite heart-tearing when you have to discard half off some very,very old olive wood because i use just the best core material,but for a good and long-lasting pipe only the best is good enough.

meathod

Post by meathod »

I really like that first one.. the grain is awesome, and the shape is very nice, flows naturally, quite organic...
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Glad you enjoy it, i saw your work also ,very nice work with very fine details -keep it on.

pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Beautiful pipes! I think the shaping and finish is great. Olive wood makes a good smoker. The only thing that would discourage me from purchasing one of these pipes is the shape of the bit. I prefer a thin flat bit. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

That wood is beautiful, and the work equally so.

Very nice!
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

I like the one in your avatar also. "Cobra," I think, from your website. Nice.
Regards,
Tim
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Very nice pipes. I like. Nice photo's. too. I was wondering how you make tenons for your pipe tips without a lathe?
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Thank you ,i appreciate your comments on this , i am glad to find reflections on this style of pipe making.

Yes,the bit on Perseus is a bit 'bulky' , the others have a good anatomic bit that feels comfortable in the mouth (the close up's can make it seem a bit thicker than it is) , but in general i can produce any type of very flat bits if it is in the flowing concept of the whole pipe.
To make a bit without a lathe is not a problem on the shaping if you are handy in using your hands in a proper way.
I don't use the lathe by a principle of my working style ,it would make some details easier but than i would neglect some things off the old school i want to keep well and going.

The only machines i use is a drill and a sanding track,and some small diamond heads on my dremel ,the rest on the bit is done by different sorts of fine diamond files regarding the bit work - and that's the way the cookie crumbles - gentlemen :)

Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

Beautiful work . I love the organic designs.
Art
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

First, welcome to the forum!
Secondly, great pipes you have there! Really stunning work and wonderful material!

Post some more pictures of your work, your style is really unique.
Dotter, Croatia
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Thanks guys,appreciate you on this fine thoughts !
I enjoy my pipe work and i do so to be able to share this good felling with others,that is the real reason behind the art of the pipe , isn't it?
I'll publish some new work's soon ,thanks college Dotter for reminding :D .

Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Abi Natur wrote:...To make a bit without a lathe is not a problem on the shaping if you are handy in using your hands in a proper way.
I don't use the lathe by a principle of my working style ,it would make some details easier but than i would neglect some things off the old school i want to keep well and going.

The only machines i use is a drill and a sanding track,and some small diamond heads on my dremel ,the rest on the bit is done by different sorts of fine diamond files regarding the bit work - and that's the way the cookie crumbles - gentlemen :)
Thanks for the details. Very handy, I'd say. I also have another question. I have used some very hard wood from the Redtip Photenia shrubs that grow near my house to make some experimental pipes. The shrubs died from a leaf fungus epidemic, I think. Then I cut them down. The wood was cured simply by letting it dry for several years on a covered porch outside. These pipes had a slightly unpleasant taste and smell, especially before they were broken-in good. I was wondering how you harvest and cure the Olive wood. Do you cut live limbs, or wait for the limb to die first, and after you harvest the wood, then what?
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Love the lines on the pipes. That is absolutely the most beautiful olive wood I have ever seen.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

I appreciate your view staffwalker,this olive wood is rare and demands a long search & curing process ,it goes a long way to the point of becoming a pipe.

Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Mike Messer wrote: I was wondering how you harvest and cure the Olive wood. Do you cut live limbs, or wait for the limb to die first, and after you harvest the wood, then what?
The curing process begins with the search of the right olive tree,there is some very valuable know-how from the older and experienced generations of olive farmers,and one has to remember this knowledge well as a guide for the best olive wood out there for pipes.

If you just cut down a fresh limb off a olive tree and carry it full of happy-happy thoughts to your cellar ,you will find it full of cracks in a month or earlier :cry: .
Olive-wood or any other wood curing is a process of knowledge,patient in the search and the right processing of the harvested wood at specific conditions.
The best and very rare olive wood is the one growing on almost bare stone with very little minerals,this natural fight for survival is reflected through the marble -like grain and great density over hundreds of years,the best part is a huge limb that the olive tree has partially withdrawn from with its oily juices but not entirely,that fine difference is recognized by the experienced eye .

This part of the olive tree is drying for many-many years ,very,very slowly while from the inside(olive trees tend to be hollow)the micro circulation adapts the material to high temperatures,winds that bring sea-salt and iodine ,and the most important - olive oil that makes it in the drying process very hard but also elastic and smooth not allowing it to dry out over the long years of harsh environmental circumstances .
So part of the curing does mother nature in specific geographic micro-locations the rest is Gran-pas secret :wink: .
The kind of olive is also very important,there are many different sorts -some are white as milk like the Italian olive tree ,they tend to have a nice aroma but are not as hard .
Olive-wood pipes have a very long history in terms of thousands of years,as a wood that symbolizes peace through the ages it naturally finds its place in an object that also stands as a symbol for peace - the Pipe .

If you find such similarities in your close environment were you have trees suitable as pipe material,watch for trees on places where strong winds regularly blow and the earth is poor in minerals and harsh,there the hardest trees may grow.

The curing of the material for pipes by the hand of the pipe-maker is a very rewarding and traditional experience that reflects fully in the pipe that is made, but it can also be in the first years very time consuming and difficult if you do not have guidance .
The biggest reward is the full circle you can go from the beginning of the pipe-craft to the end -the finished pipe.
Last edited by Abi Natur on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Yes, thank you Abi for these most interesting insights. The smaller limbs I harvested, 1 inch (25mm) or less, did, indeed develop many deep cracks for their entire length, and were no good. Some of the larger ones 1.75 in.(45mm) to 6 in (150mm) in diameter developed cracks near the cut ends, but otherwise were fine.
Thanks, again.
M.M.