disc sander backing plate

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: disc sander backing plate

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a dust collector positioned to get most of the dust that comes off the grinder and wheel. Plus I wear a 3M mask to be sure what's left won't go into my lungs. It's not the most convenient thing in the summer, but it's better than choking up briar-colored dust all night. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

KurtHuhn wrote: it's better than choking up briar-colored dust all night. :)
That's my standard MO, and it's really starting to wear on me. I hate those little disposable masks and was wondering if I should buy one of the more substantial masks. Any idea on how long they last?

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Tools-Su ... ogId=10053
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

e Markle wrote: That's my standard MO, and it's really starting to wear on me. I hate those little disposable masks and was wondering if I should buy one of the more substantial masks. Any idea on how long they last?

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Tools-Su ... ogId=10053
YES! Get one now!

They last for years as long as you clean it once in a while. The elasticity of the straps may get reduced, but a visit to the fabric or craft store for some elastic strip will take care of that. The filters are replaceable, and most models accept VOC filter cannisters as well, so you can use them if you ever spray paint or lacquer in an enclosed area (like when finishing a guitar or whatever).

If you have a problem with dust getting in your nose and lungs, I strongly suggest getting one of those masks.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sweeeet. My Darth Vader pipe-making apparel will almost be complete.

Plus, no more telling my wife, "Tear this shop apart until you find those masks!"

Yes, I realize that was too far. I relent.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I use my 2x72 KMG for rough shaping too, as I'm too cheap to get a disc and I was grinding on steel long before I started on briar... :wink:

Phil, have you ever tried using the slack belt setup and splitting J-flex belts into thinner widths? I have found that a slack 1/2" x 72 belt at near-bowstring tight is the shizznit for getting the shank/stummel area cleaned up. The narrower belts really help delay that "aw, shit!" moment when you realize you've just gotten too deep. They also help with the barrel distortion effect that a full 2" slack belt can leave. I used to just track one edge of the belt off the platen, but one little tip the wrong way and I had a nice V-notch where I wanted a radius. :banghead:
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

what kind of dust collection get ups are you guys using? I really want to start rough shaping on the wheel, but i'm not sure what to look for as far as dust collection goes
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I use this and a small shop vac from Lowe's. I started with just the shop vac, but that proved insufficient real quick.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Alan L wrote:I use my 2x72 KMG for rough shaping too, as I'm too cheap to get a disc and I was grinding on steel long before I started on briar... :wink:

Phil, have you ever tried using the slack belt setup and splitting J-flex belts into thinner widths? I have found that a slack 1/2" x 72 belt at near-bowstring tight is the shizznit for getting the shank/stummel area cleaned up. The narrower belts really help delay that "aw, shit!" moment when you realize you've just gotten too deep. They also help with the barrel distortion effect that a full 2" slack belt can leave. I used to just track one edge of the belt off the platen, but one little tip the wrong way and I had a nice V-notch where I wanted a radius. :banghead:
No, I didnt think to try splitting the belts for this although I ahve done it before to get into tight finger grooves to radius into the handle slabs. Dont know why it didnt occur to me to try it. Might have something to do with that staying up till 2am working on knives and pipes then getting up at 6/6:30 for my day job. I just finished my second pipe last night so to say I have a steep learning curve is an understatement.