Waxing

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
ellijaypipemaker

Re: Waxing

Post by ellijaypipemaker »

What are the steps in puffing and waxing. I know I sand with differant grit paper & stain but after staining and sanding what are the next steps and what would I use.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

After final staining and sanding?

buff- Brown Tripoli
buff- White Diamond
wax- Carnauba
polish- Clean loose-stitch Flannel Wheel
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

I was wondering, how do you know when your buff has enough wax on it? Haven't really found too much about this.
Cheers,
Rob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It really takes only a very small amount of wax. Briefly touch the wax block to the spinning buff, maybe a second or so. Too much wax can gum up the wheel, which will eff up the application process. If you have a good nose, you can detect the smell of the wax, which is a sweet smell and very distinctive.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It has enough wax on it. Always. :D

My waxing wheel has no coloration from wax, does not feel waxy, bears only the faintest smell. Like Kurt said, loading the wheel takes only a few seconds. I push wax against the buff until I smell that almost flowery smell, and usually at the same time, my thumb is starting to get a little wax spat on it. Takes ten seconds of the wheel and the block are ice cold.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If anyone is having problems applying wax, it may actually be due to overloading the wheel. An overloaded wheel could actually make an uneven application. My preferred method (and I only suggest that you give this a try if you're having trouble, not that this is the way you *should* be doing it) is a light one or two second application of wax block to spinning buff, then apply to the pipe. When you begin to feel as if the wax isn't going on well, press the wax block into the spinning buff again - for one or two seconds.

My personal experience, such as it is, is that the wax goes on better in multiple lighter applications. YMMV.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

OK, I was afraid I wasn't using enough, but I think I had the right amt.
Cheers,
Rob
Mike Messer

Re:

Post by Mike Messer »

Smitty wrote:I used higher rpms before until one of my pipes shot out of my hands and went flying across the shed :oops: .
I advise wearing a baseball catchers cup protector :lol: , if you work sitting down, and if you're a guy. If you're a girl..you got me there?

(sorry, waste of time, not serious)