My First Commissioned Order

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
RadDavis

My First Commissioned Order

Post by RadDavis »

Well, I got my first commissioned order the other day, and finished the pipe today. It is a Foursquare shape and it came out very nice. Please have a look. Here's a link to the pics:

http://tinyurl.com/3kryh

Thanks for looking,

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

I like panels, and that is a nice one. :D
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

rad

i agree w marks that is one nice looking panel. Marks really got me to take a second look at panels go to his web site he has make some nice looking paneled pipes. something that striked me as being simple and yet complex ( i wonder if the charing cross i m smoking has anything to do w/ that last remark)

rad and marks keep up the excellant work and keep posting them pics.

jim :D
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Random,

You know what that's like!

"I'd like you to make an "X" pipe for me and please keep the price under "X". Of course it has to be a shape I've never even seen before. Luckily, Mark had a Dunhill foursquare that he smokes, so I had a model to go by, only it had to be a little bigger.

Needless to say, I took my time shaping it. Sweated just a bit. <G>

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

Thanks for the kind words, Jim
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe Rad! I like the finish. The right and left panels seem to be widening a bit from back to front, but if so its only very slight. When you wer shaping it, did you make essentially a billiard forst and then flatten the panels? How did you approach the piece?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I first made the shape as square as I could get it, and then rounded all the corners.

If you make a round shape first and then try to add panels, it's extremely difficult to get them all the same size and shape.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nick,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the right & left panels widening a bit. Could you please clarify?

Thanks,

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thats about right. To me, it looks as though the right and left panels aren't quite parallel. Rather the seem to widening out as they progress front to back. Put another way (because I'm not sure that was clear) if the pannels' planes were extended, it looks like they would eventually intersect behind the stem and the gap would widen out infron of the pipe. This could just be a trick of the picture though. If they are off, its only ever so slightly.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Looking at the pic, I can see what you're talking about.

Rest assured that this is definitely a photo effect. Sorry for the confusion. The pipe is very square.

Rad