I just got hired to do a pipe!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
bscofield

I just got hired to do a pipe!

Post by bscofield »

Someone who saw my website and is a pipe collector really liked my pipes...... Well he went home and told his family that he liked my site and pipes and expressed interest and they asked me to make one for him (for $$) that they could give him for christmas.

I'm pumped! I'm going to buy my first $50 block of briar and do it up as nice as I can! The pipe he particularly liked was the one I made with the hebrew word for "Fire" etched into the side of it. So the idea is that since his name is David (an orginaly hebrew name) that I'd do one with his name on it. Now I just have to find out, through his family, what he likes in a pipe: bent, straight, large, small, etc...

I told them to just take a look at what he smokes every day and that should give them and indication since most pipe smokers have a strong leaning one way or the other.

So, if your still reading, I'm having trouble finding a place that sells the higher quality blocks of briar one at a time... Can anyone help me out on this? I was on Jaume's site and I couldn't find anything but bulk buys... am I missing something. Thanks for the help guys...

On another note, has anyone seen Pooka's new signature?!?

"President, Guantanamo Bay Pipe Smokers Association"

hahahaha... That cracked me up! Oh crap, unless you really did start a pipe club, then it's not funny... I just thought you were probably president, founder and only memeber :lol:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

from my knowledge of spanish that latin sounds like it would translate into:

I came, I saw, I smoked.

Is that right?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too neat big guy!!!

Micahel Parks is selling a few blocks of what he says is top quality briar. You could drop him a line. His addy is: michael@parkspipes.com. Additionally, you could ask who ever you get your briar from to pick out a good piece for you. I did that with Mark Tinsky and he really picked a winner for me. I offered I'd pay extra for the quality, and he was very happy to oblidge. Of course, I screwed up the piece up, but it was a nice piece.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks for the info Nick! I'm pursuing both of those leads right now. Can you tell me what size you bought and what the dimensions were? I'm not getting much from his description in ounces.

Thanks again...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Yup. That was on the top half, and the bottom was "I am therefore I smoke" which I can't remember how translation went.
Pooka, did you write this out with the alphabet as we know it? One of the things I like about doing the hebrew is that it's not "english alphabet" so it makes it more "different" looking.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehee. Back in high school, the "cool" way to ask for a light was to say "Yo, Prometheus!"

The block I got from Mark was an 11 oz block and if I remember correctly was about 2.5" across, maybe 2" deep and about 7 inches long. His statements of about what one can make seem pretty accutate. The 10 oz blocks seem to big enough to allow some play in the design. The 8 oz blocks are fine if you can be precise, and the 16 oz blocks are terrific for big pipes, or even splitting into two separate pieces.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Nick wrote:Too neat big guy!!!

Micahel Parks is selling a few blocks of what he says is top quality briar. You could drop him a line. His addy is: michael@parkspipes.com. Additionally, you could ask who ever you get your briar from to pick out a good piece for you. I did that with Mark Tinsky and he really picked a winner for me. I offered I'd pay extra for the quality, and he was very happy to oblidge. Of course, I screwed up the piece up, but it was a nice piece.
I can personally vouch for the briar Michael's selling I got in on the order when he made it in the late spring. Very nice stuff.