Prep before my first project.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pipe.zombie

Prep before my first project.

Post by pipe.zombie »

I have been thinking long and hard about what shape of stummle to tackle for my first pipe. The first thought was to try a billiard because it seems to be the most basic of the pipe shapes. Then after looking and looking I thought maybe I should try a panled billiard for the first time becuase of the flat sides and ease of shaping. Then after much thought and much research it would seem that to make a true panled billiard is more difficult than making a standard billiard.

I guess my main question is, for a first time pipe maker (with no real wood shaping experience) what is the most forgiving shape to try?

I know that my first half dozen tries will probably be complete wright offs but seeing as EVERYONE else on this forum more than likely has more experience than me I would appreciate the feed back.

Thanks.
"Smoke. Smoke. Smoke. Only a pipe distinguishes man from beast."
-Honere Daumier
e Markle

Re: Prep before my first project.

Post by e Markle »

I was in the same boat recently. In retrospect, I wouldn't waste too much time on which shape to make, but here are a few thoughts:
1. Unless you have a pre-drilled block, go for straight.
2. Some kind of billiard or poker would probably be easiest, but keep in mind that billiards tend to elicit more visceral responses from people because they are rather standardized. Something closer to a 70's Danish free-hand would allow you more "I-like-it-that-way" room.

In the end, I don't think you'll worry too much about your first pipe. Good luck!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

For me, making a uniformed shaped bowl and shank, and a smooth transition from bowl to shank were my nightmares. To some extent, they still are. This was mostly due to not knowing how to use the tools I had, nor what they were capable of doing. A straight, cylindrical poker may be best if you want a catalog shape.

If you have little or no wood working experience, make the walls a bit thicker than you really want. This gives you a bit of room to correct shaping mistakes. If you don't want a poker, I suggest rough shaping it as one first anyway. You can remove the extra briar from the bottom edge and round it off later if you want, but you can't put briar back on.

Take my advise with a grain of salt however. I am also quite new to this, and may be completely off.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

pipe.zombie wrote:I have been thinking long and hard about what shape of stummle to tackle for my first pipe. The first thought was to try a billiard because it seems to be the most basic of the pipe shapes. Then after looking and looking I thought maybe I should try a panled billiard for the first time becuase of the flat sides and ease of shaping. Then after much thought and much research it would seem that to make a true panled billiard is more difficult than making a standard billiard.

I guess my main question is, for a first time pipe maker (with no real wood shaping experience) what is the most forgiving shape to try?

I know that my first half dozen tries will probably be complete wright offs but seeing as EVERYONE else on this forum more than likely has more experience than me I would appreciate the feed back.

Thanks.
One of the most difficult shapes, the billiard is one and a difficult shape to pull off as a new pipe maker. It might seem basic, but the symmetry is difficult for a first pipe.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

when I started making pipes, a freehand shape from a pipe kit was the easiest. I thought not dealing with a stem/shank transition or not drilling my own block made it easier. But, if you're feeling like a good challange, you're on the right track with a billiard.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Do a pipe that you are going to enjoy smoking. Because that's who is going to wind up with it!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nick

Post by Nick »

I agree with the freehand comment. It'll give you a good bit of latitude for getting a feel fro the wood. I tried to make a volcano for my first pipe, but it came out looking like a big turd kinda piled up onto itself. Smokes great though!
pipe.zombie

Post by pipe.zombie »

Thanks for all the help. I was under the impression that a freehand pipe was harder than one of the standardized pipe shapes because Ive always read that you have to let the wood speak to you through the grain. But after having looked at more and more freehand pipes I see that while I may not be able to craft an award winning freehand it seems that it will give me the chance to become familiar with how to work Briar.
-Honere Daumier
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Bingo. Non-award-winning freehands are easier than classic shapes. Award winning freehands are arguably tougher to "nail" than classic shapes, because there is less in the way of distinct reference points. But it's kinda apples to oranges, too.... anyhow, have fun. The first 2,000 pipes are just "learners" no matter what. :mrgreen:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipe.zombie

Post by pipe.zombie »

Well I have the tools and Briar on the way and expect to be crafting before the end of next week, I'm sure I'll be on this forum much more often in the near future with many many amateurish posts to follow.
-Honere Daumier
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Because it's a first pipe, don't worry to much about a finished magnificent product. Jump in. You'll have more question after than before.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com