Ideal Tobacco Chamber Shapes?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Mike Messer

Ideal Tobacco Chamber Shapes?

Post by Mike Messer »

Here are drawings of 2 chamber examples, similar to what you would get with Tom Eltang's #3 and #4 Spoon Bits. No doubt there could be some variations in chamber depths from about 25 mm (1") min. to the typical 38 mm (1.5") up to 50 mm (2") or more, and top diameters from about 16 mm (5/8") min. to the typical 19 mm (3/4"), up to 25 mm (1") or more in different pipes, and I think the bottom could be more of an elongated, half ellipse instead of a half sphere, but these are some questions I have:

1. Would you say that the straight tapered sides (the cones) with a rounded bottom is the ideal shape for tobacco chambers?

2. Would you say that the straight cylinder sides with a rounded bottom is a sub-standard shape for tobacco chambers (not shown here)?

3. Would you say that the curving tapered sides with a rounded bottom is a sub-standard shape for tobacco chambers (not shown here)?

3. Do you think that odd, free-form tobacco chambers could be practical (not shown here)?

3. Any other ideas?

RFC.

Image Image
Last edited by Mike Messer on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch

Re: Ideal Tobacco Chamber Shapes?

Post by Sasquatch »

Here is the simple truth: No matter what shape you make the chamber, someone will love it, and someone else will not.

I see no reason to taper a chamber unless it's necessary for the shape of a pipe. Tapered chambers smoke fine but require slightly different smoking technique than a cylindrical chamber.

The ideal chamber, imho, would depend on the tobacco and the user. I suspect that the chambers you have drawn would be fine. Never once has anyone commented on the chamber shape, the bottom radius, or anything, on any pipe I've ever sold. A pipe smoker with any experience at all will look at a pipe, decide on how to fill it, and smoke it successfully.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

But what if you could construct a mechanism that could align the neutrinos of the briar grIn in such a way that the cylindricaly tapered bowl maximized the molecular motion of the smoke? There might be something to that....
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Simeon, quit being such a boson.

(Do I get a rimshot with a physics-geek joke or not?)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:Simeon, quit being such a boson.

(Do I get a rimshot with a physics-geek joke or not?)
What's a boson? :lol:

Seriously, glad to hear Sasquatch's ideas. For some reason, I was starting to think my cylinder chambers were sub-standard, and I needed to buy some very expensive tapered bits. I might buy some anyway, if I get some extra money.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Sure, but only on a sub atomic level with particles coliding in a large hadron colider.

And with that, I have used up every science nerd reference I have in my brain.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

SimeonTurner wrote:Sure, but only on a sub atomic level with particles coliding in a large hadron colider.

And with that, I have used up every science nerd reference I have in my brain.
Well, I did have this idea for a elliptical bowl with a curvature larger than the known universe...but you would have to use an H-bomb to light the pipe.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

SimeonTurner wrote:But what if you could construct a mechanism that could align the neutrinos of the briar grIn in such a way that the cylindricaly tapered bowl maximized the molecular motion of the smoke? There might be something to that....
maybe not to the sub-atomic level, but you could shape the bowl in a modified Archimedes' screw. such as below, but without the center pole.

packing it might be a bitch though.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

All of you are so behind the times. I drill my tobacco chambers with a 6 MW (and in MEGA and WATT) nitrogen laser excited and lased by pure Todd Johnson urine harvest within 12 hours of his return from Denmark or Italy. The model is none other than a late model Sixten Ivarsson he made just before his death, and which I sliced in half lengthwise to get an accurate point cloud by involving the geeks at Industrial Light and Magic and their Magnificent Machine.

Quake in the presence of my cumbustatory excellence.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

:notworthy:
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

KurtHuhn wrote:cumbustatory
Triple word score.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I get that from beans too, Kurt.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Cooked from scratch, dried pinto beans, then refried are much better about that.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:Cooked from scratch, dried pinto beans, then refried are much better about that.
One thing I've never understood about refried beans: When is it you fry 'em the first time?

Rad
Last edited by RadDavis on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:Cooked from scratch, dried pinto beans, then refried are much better about that.
One thing I've never understood about refried benas: When is it you fry 'em the first time?

Rad
Good point, I don't know, but they are good.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:
One thing I've never understood about refried beans: When is it you fry 'em the first time?

Rad
You dumb hillbilly, it's to keep your flatulence at a lower methane level. Damn Rad, you're such a dumb ass.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

baweaverpipes wrote:
RadDavis wrote:

Rad
You dumb hillbilly, it's to keep your flatulence at a lower methane level. Damn Rad, you're such a dumb ass.
What was the question??

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey, you can't expect a guy to run a sandblaster as good as Bruce AND be a good reader, can you?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Hey, you can't expect a guy to run a sandblaster as good as Bruce AND be a good reader, can you?
Drats! Now, who's the dumb hillbilly :oops:
"Bruce, you're such a dumb ass" :lol:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I resemble that remark. :lol:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com