Stummel inlay technique?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Penforhire

Stummel inlay technique?

Post by Penforhire »

I searched but didn't spot this question and I don't know if this belongs here or in the stummel section. I'm just a noob hobbyist and you guys display fantastic talent and information.

I'm thinking of using an intentional filler to make a shaped inlay on the stummel and I was wondering if you had any advice. I'm thinking that once I get past rough sanding (stummel shape complete) I would carve, say a crescent moon, and fill it with a solid material, say black colored, that I can continue to sand, stain (with no color change in the fill), polish, & wax along with the rest of the stummel.

Based on reading straight "filler" posts here (ha, and the vague Pimo book recommendations), I'm thinking of mixing black-dyed briar dust with some sort of binder. I see CA glue is most recommended by why wouldn't a 2-part epoxy work better? It'd be easier to work with (pot life, viscosity) and be stronger. On the outside of the stummel it should not get hot enough to decompose at all.

Or am I looking down the wrong path entirely?

TIA
Eric
caskwith

Re: Stummel inlay technique?

Post by caskwith »

It can certainly be done. I have done it before with mixed success, i got some bubbles in the epoxy. Kim Kendal is the man to speak to, he has done quite a few inlayed pipes :)
Leus

Post by Leus »

An Argentinean artisan, Pablo Minotti, does a lot of inlays in his pipes.

http://www.dcapo.com.ar/
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mixing CA with dust of any sort will have a very short shelf life. Usually around 2 seconds, depending on the formula you use. :P

As Chris says, Kim Kendall is the guy to ask about this.

Rad