stiff shaping wheels

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pipeguy

stiff shaping wheels

Post by pipeguy »

does anybody know where one could find a ridgid grinding wheel for sapein stummles? I use the stiff paper backed one that work fine untill the edges get bent. I watched a video on Bjon Thurmann in his shop and it seems he uses somthing much more permenant any ideas thanx Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Charl

Re: stiff shaping wheels

Post by Charl »

Maybe angle grinder discs?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Try the fiber-backed resin discs. I use the ones from Lowes - Gator-Grit or something like that. You'll have to come up with a method of mounting them, but they last for a good long time.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I use a 7 in disk from an angle grinder with a 36 grit fibre disk. That is attached to a motor using the chuck from the beal buffing system. I just fitted the backing plate with a bolt and washers to screw it into the beal chuck. I did have to turn an adapter. I made mine out of nylon stock but you could make it out of anything really.

The adapter is basically a nylon rod with one end turned to fit into the middle of the backing plate and the other turned to fit into the end of the beal chuck. then I used washers and a bolt to attach it to the chuck in same manner as the beal buffing wheels. With this setup I can switch between the shaping wheel and buffing wheels. I use this same motor for all of my shaping and buffing. I also have a 4" french wheel that I got from Trent Rudat that screws into this same chuck as well.

I am heading home to get pipes to blast. I will try to take a pic with my phone of what I am talking about.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Here are pics of the setup I was describing...

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey, I think I've seen that design before.:)

TJ
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

hehehe, well, you know...