Compound tool holder turning

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
TRS
Site Supporter

Compound tool holder turning

Post by TRS »

Kind of a silly question maybe, but I'm new to lathes, especially metal turning ones. When you guys are turning stummels and particularly stems, do you just advance the bit with both wheels in and out to the contour you desire? I wasn't sure if this was the proper procedure. My old Craftsman came with a left hand holder, so I'm gearing up to get a right hand and a cutoff tool holder and realised that I might want to know the proper way to cut a stem with it. I'm going to stick with delrin for tenons, but I was wondering how those wonderful decorative stems are contoured. I was reading that post on ebonite wherein Kurt mentioned that with proper bits very little finishing is needed; until then I thought everyone was cutting stems with wood lathe tools..... thanks
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Compound tool holder turning

Post by KurtHuhn »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I thought everyone was cutting stems with wood lathe tools..... thanks
I am. :D

I cut the tenon using the carriage and cross-feed. Then, if the stem is to have any embellishment, I will cut that with wood lathe tools. Typically a fingernail gouge or oval skew. While you *could* etch-a-sketch a stem's flares, beads, or other turnings, it's easy just to use wood lathe tools. At least for me. I've heard tales that Rad simply speaks to his metal lathe lovingly, and it produces an amazing and fully polished stem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

KurtHuhn wrote:
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I thought everyone was cutting stems with wood lathe tools..... thanks
At least for me. I've heard tales that Rad simply speaks to his metal lathe lovingly, and it produces an amazing and fully polished stem.

You mean the rumors are TRUE!?!?!?!!? Anytime I talk to my Southbend lovingly somehow I get the short end of the stem so to speak! :lol:
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I also use a wood lathe (have yet to invest in the metal lathe). It takes a bit of practice, but once you have a basic skill set with your tools the wood lathe isn't too difficult. SHARP tools are a must, and usually having more than just a standard set of turnign tools is nice too. For example, I have 1 set of "regular" sized tool, as well as a mini set for "smaller turnings". the woodcrafts guys tried to talk me out of the smaller tools, saying anything that you can do with small tools can be done with bigger ones, but I find that the smaller skew is really nice for tiny work like stems etc.

I'm planning on bringing all of my gouges to Chicago with me in hopes of having Rad speak lovingly to them. Hopefully that will have a similar effect as on his machines down in the Deep South. Either that, or I'll start hearing a little southern twang in the chatter of my tools when they start to lose their edge. :P
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Okay, thanks guys. I still plan on equipping my compound so I can face with it and cut small things for inlays/extensions and such. Now to try to track down a banjo for my tool rest.....argh....
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

A small metal lathe made stem work a dream for me. I saved for it with earnings from some early pipes.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com