steel tenons?????

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pipeguy

steel tenons?????

Post by pipeguy »

Whats the consensus on steel tenons foe bamboo shanks?? Is there a preffered Diameter both o.d and i.d. thanx Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
RadDavis

Re: steel tenons?????

Post by RadDavis »

O.D. 3/16

I.D. 5/32

Rad
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I'd suggest O.D. 5/32", .146" ID.

Here's a link to a post which covered this:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4481

You can get it at McMasterCarr, lickety-split.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I guess you guys got it all figured out then.

Bob, please ingnore my previous post.

Rad
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Where do you buy that size, Rad? That's much thinner walls than I have been using.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

staffwalker wrote:Where do you buy that size, Rad? That's much thinner walls than I have been using.
The SS tube Rad mentioned is .188 OD, .156 ID = .016 thick wall, which is thick.

The SS tube I mentioned is .156 OD, .146 ID = .005 thick wall, which is thinner.

The ID 5/32" and OD 3/16" SS tube makes sense if you want to drill your 5/32" airway then "countersink" a 3/16" short mortise on mating ends to accept the SS tenon sleeve, thereby keeping a continuous 5/32" airway without the .005" SS hump to catch pipe cleaner fuzz (though I've never noticed a problem). That'd be way professional... but come to think of it, it's only an extra step to remember when you're chucked up. Unless, Rad is now drilling 3/16" airways for Major Draw. Anyway, I take the "just drill your 5/32" airway and glue/epoxy your tenon" shortcut.

What thickness (OD/ID) tube are you using Bob?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:I guess you guys got it all figured out then.

Bob, please ingnore my previous post.

Rad
Rad,
You are such an ignorant hick. As a hillbilly, I make many mistakes and I must be wrong as well since I use the exact same tubing as you.
This causes me pause and I will never copy any of you pipes, ever again. Nor will I be asking you for advice.
Please do not speak to me in Chicago, I have a certain reputation to maintain.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Gent's where's the love I dont want tobe responcable for your break up. thank you Mr. Weaver and Mr.Davis "Roll Crimson Tide" sorry had to get that in there.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

staffwalker wrote:Where do you buy that size, Rad? That's much thinner walls than I have been using.
Here you go, Bob:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6100k129/=6qqgou

If you maintain a 5/32 airway, you can run a 5/32 drill bit through it when/if the bamboo swells from absorbing moisture. Some bamboo does this more than others, but I got a pipe back from a customer that was totally blocked from the bamboo swelling after smoking it for a few months. I just ran a 5/32 drill bit through it and cleared it out. No more problem.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

baweaverpipes wrote: Rad,
You are such an ignorant hick. As a hillbilly, I make many mistakes and I must be wrong as well since I use the exact same tubing as you.
This causes me pause and I will never copy any of you pipes, ever again. Nor will I be asking you for advice.
Please do not speak to me in Chicago, I have a certain reputation to maintain.
Bruce, you ignorant slut, you are so fickle.

You're pathetic and I am a lesser man for knowing you.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Please note, folks who are wondering, in the thread linked to at the start of the this thread:

I had misstated that I use 5/32 OD tubing, and that is not the case. Later in the thread I corrected myself.

The tubing you want is .180" OD, and .160" ID with .010" wall thickness. It is McMaster-Carr part number 89935K252 in 316 stainless steel. Get the 316 over the 304 alloy due to improved corrosion resistance.

I use this tubing for the exact reasons Rad detailed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

RadDavis wrote:
If you maintain a 5/32 airway, you can run a 5/32 drill bit through it when/if the bamboo swells from absorbing moisture. Some bamboo does this more than others, but I got a pipe back from a customer that was totally blocked from the bamboo swelling after smoking it for a few months. I just ran a 5/32 drill bit through it and cleared it out. No more problem.
A-ha! That makes perfect sense. It's always nice to be able to ream your airway.

I guess you guys got it all figured out then.

Bob, please ignore my pre-previous post.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I love it when you guys talk about reaming an airway. it makes me feel all tingly inside
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

Nick wrote:I love it when you guys talk about reaming an airway. it makes me feel all tingly inside
:lol:

mental image ... umm, no, nevermind!
Gondar

Post by Gondar »

Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first post and I have never made a pipe, not even smoked one, so please take this for what it is. The words of a know-nothing who is here to learn a new craft. :)

I believe that there is another solution rather than using tubes with a given diameter. If I understand it correctly there are makers that instead use a stainless steel bolt with the outer diameter pretty much fitting in the bamboo piece in question. Then the pipemaker drills a hole through the whole length of the bolt with the inner diameter of choice.

Does it make any sense?
“There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.”
P. J. O'Rourke
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:I love it when you guys talk about reaming an airway. it makes me feel all tingly inside
Should I bust out the assless chaps? :shock:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Say it again for me, big boy!