YAY! No more kits!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
stummel bum

YAY! No more kits!

Post by stummel bum »

Just got a drill press, so I'm finally self-sufficient and won't have to "outsource" my pipe drilling (sounds better than "making kit pipes" :mrgreen: )

This is my first real power tool apart from a couple of hand drills, so I'm stoked. It's a reconditioned Skil 10" and I got it for a great price.

Check out the heavy duty stand I have it on :lol: Yup, and my work bench is a card table.

I also got a 4" cross slide vise to go with it. Unfortunately, the thing is so big, I can't use it for pipe making. I had ordered a 3" vise, but they called me and said it was out of stock, but that they would upgrade me to a 4" for no extra charge. I said great thinking bigger was better. Had no idea how big it would end up being :banghead: Oh well. It will still get used.

I got a couple of S&D bits to round off for chamber drilling as well. I'm just a hack at using a grinder, but I think they turned out pretty well. Sharp, no chatter, smooth hole and much cheaper than paying $100 for someone else to do it.

Here's what I ended up with:

Cheers,
Rob
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: YAY! No more kits!

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nice bit, Rob! I man I respect a lot once told me that a true craftsman makes all his own specialty tools. As you get comfortable making them, you can explore all kinds of different profiles suitable for different pipe shapes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

Thanks Kurt, I always say why pay for something I can make myself. The very reason I started making pipes.
Cheers,
Rob
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Great looking drill bit. You've inspired me to try to grind mine now.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Congrats! I have also recently taken to tool grinding like a kid to his playdough.
Now you may consider a tool like this and that will even allow you to perform some of the lathe jobs.
BTW, what's that stuff called? I googled for "aircraft bit" but what turned up was totally something else. Tool terminology sucks.
prosmoking

Post by prosmoking »

stummel bum wrote:Just got a drill press, so I'm finally self-sufficient and won't have to "outsource" my pipe drilling (sounds better than "making kit pipes" :mrgreen: )
Sounds like you are following the normal path of progression. I also stared with kits and became frustrated with the limitations of how each block was drilled. I remember getting a plateau block kit to make a freehand pipe. The thing was drilled with a 2.250 inch deep bowl and one of the kits made a 6.5 inch pipe. I did have a short drill press but found I could not get the vise, block, and bits in the available height. I randomly found a brand new full size Jet drill press at a local tool supply shop that seemed to have an exceptional price. I asked about the price and he said they had purchased a bunch many years ago and this was the last one, at the same price of when they got them. Sold ! Went back a month later, and the same thing, new model was over $100 more. Wish I could find a Wilton sander on a deal like that. I'll try to get some pictures of misc. things you can do with a drill press. I practiced drilling 2x4 stud pieces to figure out mounting, aligning and overall procedure before advancing to brier.

Oh, the excitement. So many options are now possible. That drill press represents freedom for you to design.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I tried grinding mine and when in use they scream at me.... did the profile wrong. I finally got a closer look at another bit that works better and will but my grinder back together (its my buffer) with the grinding stones and give it another shot... Worst that can happen is I ruin them... since they won't drill right now anyway.. nothing tried is nothing gained.

Stupid question though.. do forum members use a leather strop to keep the edges sharp, a leather wheel strop for a grinder, or some other means. I'm living in Germany right now and have been to 2 shops to ask for sharpening and they informed me to just buy new ones as they don't sharpen bits... kinda find it hard to believe but I've apparently have been asking the wrong people.... on a side note.. I did take one to a shoe repair man and he put an edge back on one bit ... but I don't want to pay approximately $7 everytime the bits get dull.

thanks
James
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I use a file or a stone if things need a touch up. If they are in bad repair and need a grind, I have 1x30 belts for sharpening, that run on my sanding setup.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!