good source for both olivewood, and cherrywood?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
loosvelt

good source for both olivewood, and cherrywood?

Post by loosvelt »

I have been playing around with google, but haven't found exactly what I am looking for. Anybody have a good source for quality/smokeable olivewood and cherrywood?
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
mathias65

Re: good source for both olivewood, and cherrywood?

Post by mathias65 »

depending on how much you're looking for .. i know that woodcraft.com has both of them, as well as many other kinds of exotic woods. however i believe they are fairly small pieces. i just picked up a 2"x2"x12" piece of olivewood from the woodcraft store in my area. cost me about $30. you could get 3 - 4 decent sized blocks from that. the first small piece i cut from it, i sanded and waxed just see what it would look like .. i think it is beautiful. nice grain. fair warning though, all of their exotic wood blocks like that are all covered in a fairly thick coat of wax.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you have a Woodcraft or Rockler near you, give them a try. I don't know about Rockler, but the Woodcraft stores are all independently owned, so their stock varies from what is online, and you can find some real prizes if you find a good one. I just left the one here in RI with a nice piece of rock maple for a project, but while there I saw lots of cherry, blackwood, walnut, and... well, a lot of different kinds of wood. The maple is good to make pipes out of, and I've done so in the past just to see how they smoked.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Try here, if you don't mind ordering from Europe (Italy)

http://www.bollitopipe.it/

I ordered some pretty good pieces of both normal and white olive wood from them.
They also have cherrywood, lemonwood...
Dotter, Croatia
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Thanks fellas. I wasn't sure if the olivewood woodcraft and such sells is ok, or there was a higher grade used for pipemaking.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....