Holbourne ebonite?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Charl

Holbourne ebonite?

Post by Charl »

Anybody out here ever used ebonite from Holbourne Industrial Plastics in the UK? Somehow came across their name and enquired about prices. Seems really fair. Seeing that at the moment (with small fry me at any case :wink: ) response time from German manufacturers take place at 2 week intervals, I was thinking of trying somebody else rather.
DMI

Re: Holbourne ebonite?

Post by DMI »

As they are in my neck of the woods I'll give them a ring on Monday, a source this close to home would be a godsend.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks, DMI, will appreciate it if somebody could find out what they're like.
DMI

Post by DMI »

I am still waiting for prices but they stock 1.5-55mm rod, minimum order 1 meter, apparently they sell ABS rod to someone for makng pipe stems.

Will keep you posted.

David.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I emailed them today asking for info and a sample. No reply as yet but ill keep you posted as well. Like DMI it would be good to find a local supplier.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks, guys!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Just got an email with a price on 22m ebonite rod. Price is not really competitive, its cheaper to order from SEM. 1 metre would cost, with carriage, would cost you about $90
DMI

Post by DMI »

I wonder if we got the same email?

It does seem exspensive, I thought SEM only did bulk orders.

Many thanks for your recent enquiry for which we are pleased to offer the following –

Black Ebonite Rod x 1mtr lengths

8mm dia x 1mtr @ £9.98/mtr

22mm dia x 1mtr @ £44.16/mtr

27mm dia x 1mtr @ £96.96/mtr

29mm dia x 1mtr @ £109.06/mtr

Red/Black Ebonite Rod x 1mtr lengths

18mm dia x 1mtr @ £45.98mtr

All from Stock.

Other sizes can be produced but would be subject to a Min Prod Qty.

Ebonite sheet is also stocked.

Carriage = £15.00/per del.

Note – All prices exc VAT. (17.5%)

Payment – Pro-Forma. Payment by credit card is liable to a 3% surcharge.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I just asked for the price of 22mm as thats the main size i use. SEM will do small orders, the price just gets cheaper the more your order. SEM were at the Chicago show, sat behind me actually. I was talking to them for quite a while as they were interested to see how i had used their products. I think they are beginning to realise the popularity and potential market among pipe makers so im sure in the near future we will see them becoming more small order friendly. I was told there are lots of new products in the pipeline (pun intended lol) I suggested a kind of web store to make it easier for people to see the range and choose their items. Maybe if everyone sent an email suggesting the same thing they would get around to it quicker?