Drilling Block for first time, bits needed?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

All right guys I am moving on from pipe kits to drilling my own. I need to order all my bits to get this done. Can one a couple of you look over my list and make sure I am on track and not missing anything. Tried to use the search function best I could to throw the list together. (Right now I plan on making pipes with the same size delrin, airway, tobacco chamber size etc…I want to get good at the process before I start playing around with other sizes) So I need this combo to jive.

Drilling Tobacco Chamber: Spade bits (any preference to JHLowes or Pimo style?) large style (7/8” 1”…)

Drilling draft hole/shank airway and drilling delrin rod tenon: 11/64 standard drill bit (open airway style to go with my large bowls) and one countersink slightly larger

Drilling Mortise: 5/16 standard drill bit (or slightly smaller with 5/16 reamer also, do we use reamers in pipemaking?, trying various 5/16 for tolerances with 5/16 delrin) and one countersink slightly larger (i.e. 1/2, will probably can use the same one I use for tenon)

Facing Tool: Fuller X85L or just a good forstner bit

Stem: Tapered 11/64 drill bit, dremel with bit to cut slit, clean up with files..etc.

I probably forgot something so let me know fellas, thanks a ton.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
e Markle

Re: Drilling Block for first time, bits needed?

Post by e Markle »

Granted, I'm a total newbie, but I'd suggest you just use the standard bits: 5/32 for your draft, and 3/4 for your bore. I wouldn't spend the money for the spade bits from Pimo or JH Lowes. I just bought 3/4 bits and ground/sanded them to the profile I liked. If you don't have a grinder or belt sander, I guess that's another story.
What are you using to drill - drill press or lathe? I wouldn't waste time with the forstner if you're using a lathe.

Just my 2 cents.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

For a drill press or wood lathe I suggest:

Tobacco Chamber: Spade bits are good to start. The PIMO and JHLowe bits have different profiles, so choose based on what you need.

Airway: Long length HSS 5/32. Use this size to start, and see how you like it. Go bigger if you want, but I have found that you reach a point of diminishing returns, and bigger is not always better in this context.

Mortis: Use a short length HSS drill bit. Short length reduces deflection found in longer bits (wobble). You may need to experiment with a couple different brands to find one that's "just right" for your delrin. Screw the reamer.

Facing: Good, high quality, precision ground Forstner bit.

Stem: Use 5/32. 11/64 may result in you making a very thick stem. You can always redrill your airway with a larger bit if you truly don't like 5/32, but I think you'll find that a properly executed 5/32 airway will surprise you in how well it smokes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Thanks fellas. I am using a drill press btw.

Kurt I am getting a self-centering vise for pen drilling. in regards to Good, high quality, precision ground Forstner bit. Do I need to find some without the little center point, or is it small enough not to matter for non-tenon side?

Kurt, I can't wait to show you my custom cigar cutter project I am working on this summer. Going to go with some chad nichols damascus. I want to make a "tactical" cigar cutter. In the spirit of making anything "tactical" I am making some tri scissor cutters with a tactical folder pivot and g10 or carbon fiber. I think it will be pretty funny, plus pretty darn cool looking. Working on making some protos out of 440-C or D2 before moving up to the damascus though.
Last edited by loosvelt on Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Don't worry about the center point. You'll end up either drilling it out on the shank/mortis side, or sanding it mostly away on the button side if you use rod stock.

I'm looking forward to seeing that cigar cutter!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

To open the airways in the stem, I use a long tapered drill bit:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... int+Drills
Nick

Post by Nick »

make sure to post the cigar cutter. It sounds really cool.