Hardwood Extensions?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
J. Winton

Hardwood Extensions?

Post by J. Winton »

Firs off, since I just joined, let me reiterate what many others have said and that is that this forum is an absolutely wonderful resource. A group of people willing and eager to share their craft and knowledge is a special thing.

I am a profssional carpenter and wood carving hobbyist and while smoking the one pipe I own, and thinking about all the things I find displeasing abou it, I decided I should just make a better one, especially since I have some 3" think black walnut scraps off a board that had been drying for 30 years. Well, I quickly found out my black walnut was the wrong way to go (thanks in part to this forum) and have since "jumped right in" and started reading anything and everything on here and am really enjoying myself.

That being said I'm still very interested in including carved elements in my pipe but briar does not lend itself to enjoyable carving (with gouges and knives, my preferred tools).

So here is my actual question: Are there known reasons to not use other hardwoods and exotics, that carve well, for shank extenions? Assuming I steer clear of those with a strong flavor.
“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
A. Einstein
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Hardwood Extensions?

Post by SimeonTurner »

Short answer: nope! Folks use all kinds if material for extensions. Unless there are major toxicity issues, you should feel good using all sorts of hardwood etc.

:)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Re: Hardwood Extensions?

Post by Sasquatch »

A longer answer is yes, you need to avoid certain woods, or at best treat them in such a way that they are appropriate for pipes. This might include sealing/stabilizing them, and/or curing them in such a way that they don't affect the flavor (or safety) of the pipe in a negative way.

Most woods have a taste if you make a pipe from them, less so if you use them as shank and not bowl material. If you sleeve inside the thing, then of course this is also irrelevant.

As a seasoned wood worker, you'll no doubt be aware that the toxicity of certain woods is pretty high, and there is talk and at least anecdotal evidence that use of these woods is possibly irritating/allergenic to certain people. Cocobolo, rosewood, benge, wenge.... there's a pretty long list of woods I'd stay away from, or at least, not bring into contact with smoke.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!