New member 2nd pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
msheppard666

New member 2nd pipe

Post by msheppard666 »

I have been lurking around here for a while and decided to post some pictures of the second pipe i made. The first is to awful to post so we'll just skip that one. Any input would be appreciated. I made this pipe from a kit drilled by Tim West. I added the half saddle and shaped the button a little more on the premolded bit.
length: 6.5in
height: 2.25in
I'm still trying to figure out how to take good photos as well so if a different angle is wanted let me know and i'll try to add it

michael
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: New member 2nd pipe

Post by NathanA »

I think the transition from smooth to rusticated on the shank could be a little straighter. I really like your rustication, though. Would you mind if I ask what your technique was? I still haven't found a technique that works well for me, but I really like the looks of yours.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

The rustication fits this pipe with the combination of the ruby red rim. Also, I like that step in the stem, kudos! One thing bothers me though, and that is the frontside transition of the rim, it seems that you could take a little more material off - this way it looks a little off-center. All in all, 95%! :thumbsup:
msheppard666

Post by msheppard666 »

For the rustication I just used the pipe and nails thingy that's shown around here somewhere. Where the shank meets the bowl it was to tight to use that so I just welded 3 long nails together. It looks a little different and was harder to get the nails to bite, but I think it blends in. After the nails I started to use a steel wire wheel, but it was leaving marks so I just went after it with a steel wire brush until it felt good in the hand.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Your second pipe, you say? Congratulations! this is a remarkably good pipe.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

The red trim gives this pipe a really elegant look, especially with the rustication. I would smoke this on special occassions, or when I wear a tux (which is never so I would have to find a reason to wear a tux! haha).

Two questions, please:
1. How did you like the briar/supplies from Tim West? I keep hearing good things about him and I want to finally order some briar but I don't know if I should get it from him or Pimo.

2. You mentioned a "nail and pipe" rusticating technique that's on the forum but when I tried searching for it, I had trouble finding it. I really like your rustication and the only type of rusticating tool I've tried is a dremel which (probably 'cause I'm a newbie) seemed a little too hard to control. Is this a manual technique? and if so, could you direct me to a link? or describe the process a little?

All in all, a very nice pipe!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Here you go. This is an intimidating little beast:

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... ustication
Regards,
Tim
msheppard666

Post by msheppard666 »

Sorringowl wrote:
1. How did you like the briar/supplies from Tim West? I keep hearing good things about him and I want to finally order some briar but I don't know if I should get it from him or Pimo.
I have ordered three kits from Tim. All three have been great and two of the three were perfect pieces of wood. One had a couple spots in in but they weren't cracks just pits, hence the rustication on the pipe above. He great to deal with on the phone and very helpful. He'll answer any questions you have about any part of the process. Even if you call just to pick his brain.

The post above is the tool I used to rusticate this pipe.