workshop question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
buster

workshop question

Post by buster »

Right now I have my workshop in my basement, but I am moving and being forced to use the garage. I live in Ohio where we have cold winters and hot summers. The garage is unattached from the home and not climate controlled. I am wondering what effects if any this will have on my tools, briar, and pipemaking process in general.

Thanks
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Re: workshop question

Post by TimGeorge »

I have not noticed any effect on tools or briar, but it certainly effects the amount of time I spend in my workshop in the hot Texas summer. :) Seriously, though, higher humidity can lead to some rusting issues so watch out for that. Also, in the summer I find I have to go slower when drilling, and back off quite a bit since the drill bits heat up quicker. And then there are the huge wasps and tiny mosquitoes. Otherwise, get a nice heater and a big fan and go for it. My shop is in an outbuilding that could be insulated and controlled if I ever get around to it, but making pipes is a lot more fun ...
Regards,
Tim
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I live in Arizona, and my "shop" is an expanded storage room in the garage. I keep all of my raw materials in the house to mitigate any surprises. I haven't noticed negative effects on any of my tools, but humidity levels are low here. I will say that working in the heat is punishing.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Rust in the summer here isn't a problem even with the high humidity. Where I have problems with rust is during the winter. When I heat the shop it causes the metal to sweat causing rust. I even get rust on my mechanics tools in the boxes due to this sweating.
Pipe Maker in the Making!