Rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
pennsyscot

Rustication

Post by pennsyscot »

How do I do it?
RadDavis

Re: Rustication

Post by RadDavis »

I can't be sure, but that looks like a sand blast.

If so, that's how you do it. :)

Rad
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

The caption did not come with the picture. The caption describes it as a sandblast like rustication. I don't like the coral rustications that are done with the nail tools, too course. I want to do something that appears natural and is not to deep. I'm not too keen on the golf ball dimples or the unidirectional striations either. For my 11th I tried to emulate tree bark with the dremel and it looks like doo doo. I love the look of sandblasting but cannot justify the expense of the equipment. I'm open to any suggestions. thanks, Scot

Here is my first rustication effort. I would like to do better on the next.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

IF you use a dremel tool with a rounded tip carving burr, you can control the texture by either using the very tip of the tool or the shoulder where it flattens out. Just tap it against the pipe about 100 times per square inch and it looks really cool.

A smaller burr will get you sort of a "Radice Rind" look, and a larger one will do something more akin to Peterson's current rustication.

The rotary rasp 2nd from the left is a handy shape. Actually, they all are, and each offers it's own texture.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... ,130,43409
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Structured carbide bits are also really helpful, especially if you're doing a lot of shaping with a dremel-style tool. They leave a rough surface, but that's sort of the point if you're using them to rusticate a pipe. Woodcraft carries a great selection:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000943/2000943.aspx

They're very aggressive, and remove material incredibly quickly. Because of that, it's easy to do very deep rustication in addition to more shallow rustication.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I use a very small flexcut gouge to take out little chunks, then go over it by "walking" the edge of a 1/4" chisel over the peaks left between the gouge pits. This breaks up the remaining smooth bits. Then I wire brush it, stain, and shellac. Looks like this:

SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

pennsyscot wrote:The caption did not come with the picture. The caption describes it as a sandblast like rustication. I don't like the coral rustications that are done with the nail tools, too course. I want to do something that appears natural and is not to deep. I'm not too keen on the golf ball dimples or the unidirectional striations either. For my 11th I tried to emulate tree bark with the dremel and it looks like doo doo. I love the look of sandblasting but cannot justify the expense of the equipment. I'm open to any suggestions. thanks, Scot

FWIW, I think your rustication on this pipe is pretty sweet looking. It compliments the shape well, and the fact you left the skin on top further compliments the overall look.

The nice thing about rustication is that there really is no "wrong" way to do it, so experimentation and trial and error is always a good way to go. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

The Brakner pipe above was rusticated using a tiny pick and a shitload of time. Kent Rasmussen does similar micro-rustication.
FredS

Post by FredS »

Legend has it that Brakner took his mysterious “micro-rusticating” technique to the grave. Click here for another Brakner pipe with a couple of clear photos.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

pennsyscot wrote:The caption did not come with the picture. The caption describes it as a sandblast like rustication. I don't like the coral rustications that are done with the nail tools, too course. I want to do something that appears natural and is not to deep. I'm not too keen on the golf ball dimples or the unidirectional striations either. For my 11th I tried to emulate tree bark with the dremel and it looks like doo doo. I love the look of sandblasting but cannot justify the expense of the equipment. I'm open to any suggestions. thanks, Scot

this is really nice looking... like it a lot...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

You can get a similar look to the pipe you inquire about with a wire wheel.