New drill press, some questions

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
msheppard666

New drill press, some questions

Post by msheppard666 »

This is the drill press I found on craigslist this weekend. It needed a little work, but it's fully functional now. Good score for fifty bucks I'd say.

My question is about drilling speed. 600 rpm is the lowest speed possible as it's set up right now. Do I need to rig up a third pulley to slow it down or will this work. What speeds do you guys drill different materials at (ebonite,Lucite,delrin,briar) so I have an idea of how slow I should get this thing if I do need to slow it down

thanks
michael
flix

Re: New drill press, some questions

Post by flix »

600rpm works fine for me, it's also my slowest speed on the drill press.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think mine is set at 750 right now and that seems just fine for chambers, mortises, and stemwork. :?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Nice find! I love craigslist! I got a similar drill press (from CL, btw) years back and I use it for pretty much everything I do. I think 600 is my slowest speed and that's the one I use for most pipe making activities. Works great for me.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com