Introducing myself

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

Introducing myself

Post by Massis »

Since I'm new here, what better way to introduce myself, than by introducing my work.

This pipe is actually the first - and for now the only - pipe I have ever made.
I started off with a predrilled kit from DanPipe (Germany, probably known by most here).

Materials used:
- hacksaw (only to cut of 1cm from the bottom)
- dremel with milling attachment
- sanding paper grits 120, 240, 400, 600 and 1200 (should've gone for 800 and 1000 aswell in hindsight)
- 3 large files
- dremel with polishing buffs (tripoli and white, from danpipe)
- sealed with lineseedoil
- black & bright mahoni stains from Danpipe

It took me about a week to make (noting that I only work on it after my day job and have quite a busy life).
Actual work hours somewhere around 10-11 I think.

The finish isn't perfect, but I have to say it looks ALOT better in real life than on these pictures.
I've definately(sp?) found a new hobby, so I'm going to look for a drill press in the near future, to do my own drilling. Llathe's are way to expensive for now, and I don't have room for one where I currently live.

I'm curious about your opinions, so fire away!

Oh, for the record, it smokes great!
ND Pipes

Re: Introducing myself

Post by ND Pipes »

the finish is not a problem - every pipe, after some time in use, looks like you finish so this is not a problem... You will have to look more carefully not to damage the connection between the stem and the shank... from what I can see this is a major problem here... also, try to "follow the line" of the pipe in order not to break it on the same spot (shank and stem connection)... :) i am using a flat piece of wood (lets say three cm wide) and i glue the sand paper on it and use it like that to sand that spot down... this way Your sand paper will not damage the connection....

o.k., best regards and happy to see another guy having fun in pipe making :)
enjoy... it is a beautiful hobby....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Massis

Post by Massis »

I did have some problem leaving the connection between shank and stem intact. The line however used to be alot worse, but I managed to correct it quite a bit.

This is how it looked earlier on:

Obviously I have alot to learn, that's what I joined this forum for :-)

I'm hoping to buy a decent drill press soon and start making my pipes from scratch. Who knows, someday I might actually be able to sell some pipes :)
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i understand, i am also a beginner ...
just don't be affraid to sand more briar and stem ... sand down everything You feel it doesn't need to be there... and just be sure that You have the lines that are flowing, not breaking and You will be fine :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Massis

Post by Massis »

no tips or comments from the great pipemakers this forum has? :(
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Don't be offended Massis - it's your first pipe, it's from a kit, and that's exactly what it looks like. The color is nice and even but the finish could be shinier - that looks like it was sanded at about 600 grit and called done.

The stem bend is nicely done, the transition onto the shank is not so nicely done - did you keep the stem in place the whole time?

The shape of the bowl would be better in my opinion if it were perfectly symmetrical. I realize that it's sort of an undefined shape, but that's kind of what lends it an amateurish look too. If you are going to define 4 specific quadrants and have them each do the same thing, it ought to "really" be the same.

Having said all that, it's an ambitious first pipe and it worked out pretty well.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Sasquatch wrote:Don't be offended Massis - it's your first pipe, it's from a kit, and that's exactly what it looks like. The color is nice and even but the finish could be shinier - that looks like it was sanded at about 600 grit and called done.

The stem bend is nicely done, the transition onto the shank is not so nicely done - did you keep the stem in place the whole time?

The shape of the bowl would be better in my opinion if it were perfectly symmetrical. I realize that it's sort of an undefined shape, but that's kind of what lends it an amateurish look too. If you are going to define 4 specific quadrants and have them each do the same thing, it ought to "really" be the same.

Having said all that, it's an ambitious first pipe and it worked out pretty well.
First of all: thank you for at least taking the effort to reply.

I know this isn't a great pipe by a long shot. That's basicly why I joined (I've been reading along for a little longer). I posted this - even though it's "only a kit pipe" - to get comments. "What's wrong with it?" "How can I make it better?" "Do people like the shape?"
It doesn't matter if every comment I get is a comment saying how bad it is, but no comments at all makes it rather hard to improve myself.

Mind you, I'm 22 (so I've got plenty of years to go :p ) and I don't have any experience in woodworking or anything like that except for building some vivariums (which is basicly screwing a bunch of plates together...). Plenty of learning to do...

So, in reaction to your remarks: it was sanded with 600 grit and then straight onto 1200, which might not have been the best of options (as I stated in my first post). I did take quite some time sanding it, but in hindsight it appears it wasn't enough.

I did make the mistake of taking off the stem somewhere during sanding. As far as I can remember, I did so to sand down the black stain on the end of the shank. Apparently I sanded it down a bit too much.

I'm thinking about resanding and finishing it even better now that I know how. If I do so, i'll go back down to 400 and take all the stain off, and then work my way up to 1200 but this time through 600, 800 and 1000. As far as I can tell, there is enough briar left to decently sand it down again.

However, I don't really think the sanding is the only problem with my finish. I think the main problem is in the polishing. For now all I have are small buffing wheels for my dremel (which are all the same material), and I can't afford a decent polishing wheel with decent full size buffs.
The tripoli paste works fine with these buffs, the white a little less so. The carnauba I have doesn't even react when I put my buff against it (I've tried multiple speeds and different amounts of pressure, to no avail). That's why I only sealed it off with lineseed.

Finally, concerning the shape, it was indeed ment to be "freehand" and therefore not fully symmetrical, but I have to agree that it might have made the pipe look amateuristic. Maybe next time I'll go for a model that's easier. My very first plan was to make it symmetrical, but the briar block I had made this rather impossible due to the rough edge it has:

From this I also learned one of my first lessons: first get the briar, then decide on what to do with it. As you can probably tell from this block and the resulting pipe, I completely ignored the grain and shape of the block before deciding on my pipeshape. (in fact, I had the shape in mind before I even ordered my briar...)

Once more, thanks for the comments, they can only help.